What's new

My continuing EQ adventure - EFT users should read (1 Viewer)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Felix,

Not really sure what you are asking. The low frequency sweep function in ETF gives a resolution of about 1 Hz, which is equal to or better than 1/24th octave down to the limit of the BFD.

There may be a function where you can average results to display the equivalent 1/6th octave measurements, but I'm not sure why you would want to. In this case, more resolution is good... even if you can't adjust the myriad peaks and nulls it reveals, at least you get a true picture of your room response and can make more informed decisions about how to proceed.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Felix,

Not really sure what you are asking. The low frequency sweep function in ETF gives a resolution of about 1 Hz, which is equal to or better than 1/24th octave down to the limit of the BFD.

There may be a function where you can average results to display the equivalent 1/6th octave measurements, but I'm not sure why you would want to. In this case, more resolution is good... even if you can't adjust the myriad peaks and nulls it reveals, at least you get a true picture of your room response and can make more informed decisions about how to proceed.

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree. I guess I was a little confused by the original post in the thread. I use 1dB gradations, myself, when EQ'ing my sub. To tell you the truth, I think that setting up an EQ with 1/6 octave measurements is significantly less than optimal. Sure, it's better than just taking a shot in the dark, but it doesn't really do much for accuracy.

Best,
Felix

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree. I guess I was a little confused by the original post in the thread. I use 1dB gradations, myself, when EQ'ing my sub. To tell you the truth, I think that setting up an EQ with 1/6 octave measurements is significantly less than optimal. Sure, it's better than just taking a shot in the dark, but it doesn't really do much for accuracy.

Best,
Felix

Kincade

Second Unit
Ok, to clear up my misconceptions about the ETF program, I sent Doug Plumb an email. Following is our dialogue.

So, it appears I was wrong on at least one of my assumptions. The basic $150/demo program can be used for doing the EQ of low frequencies, as long as you use the low frequency sweep graph. Although "Usually you need the PSD sweep to get accurate room mode measurements and stuff at the very lowest octave or two" still sounds to me like he's saying in the lowest octave or two, you need the PSD sweep to get accurate results.

However, I guess I'm still doing something wrong. Today, I tried again. First, the graph isn't spikey at all - it's very smooth. Not indicative to me of good resolution. Second, even with a -40dB cut at one of the humps, it only took it down about 8db.

So, who knows what I'm doing wrong. I'll post the graph to look at for anyone who is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks