What's new

My Condo Manager ... (1 Viewer)

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
OK I live in a Condo on the 2ND floor of this building. I have lived there for three years now and for those three years I have had my home theater system. I have NEVER had any one complain about it until last week. now the manger is being as D$%#head. I was getting ready for work this morning and I had my Computer playing what I just down loaded the night before. now these are just computer speaker. maybe cost me 10 bucks if that and they have NO BASS what so ever again they are computer speakers.

Anyway I got a knock on my door and guess who it was? the Condo guy telling me its to loud. Mind you he does not live in the building and he was in the HALLWAY just walking by. I have been walking down the halls some days and my Neighbor has her system going and I can hear it just fine IN THE HALLWAY but when I go inside I hear Nothing. What should I tell this Guy Without getting myself kicked out?

Do think he is over reacting? or am I

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I think both of you are overreacting a bit. I would have just told him "Oh ok, thanks I didn't realize it was that loud". Then he walks away, end of story. Unless he's always walking in your hallway, he's not going to know you keep playing your music in the mornings if nobody complains.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
But it seems as if he's got it in for me
If it looks that way, then maybe the best thing you can do is document everything he says to you. If this was just one isolated incident I'd just let it slide but if its an ongoing thing then it turns into harrassment. You don't want to be stuck down the road when he's trying to get rid of you or making your life hell. That's just me, though. I'm not sure how you could confront him without pissing him off more, though. Maybe someone else will have better ideas, sorry. :frowning:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Before you get too excited lets consider what are the possible ramifications. You stated your residence is a "condo", do you own it or are you renting? They may be able to kick out a renter, but owners would be far more difficult!

What, if anything, is stated in your by-laws or your lease regarding disturbances? Was the first visit due to someone complaining or did he happen to be "in the neighborhood"?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Most likely you caught this turd on a bad day. Keep it down for a couple of days and he will probably go away. If, after another week or two, you feel he is harassing you unfairly, you may want to start making some calls...

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
I own the place. it was that he Just happened to be in the building this morning when I was getting ready.
The other time there was someone who did complain about me watching a movie late at night.
Good thing I wasnt watching a Movie.:D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
The first thing I would do find a way to show him that you cant hear it in the adjoining units. Maybe if hes out in the hallway sometime when you can hear one of your neighbors music/tv/etc. invite him into your unit and show him that you cant hear it. Like others have said, for now I would ignore him. If you were disturbing your neighbors, you would know, but this guy wasnt even coming to say someone had reported you. He just thought it was loud in the hallway. Dont sweat it.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Ryan when can you come Over:D :emoji_thumbsup:
I'll just have to do that.
But its OK that at on a Saturday Morning I have Pool full of Kids outside my window and everone else's window on that side of the building SCREAMING at the top of there lungs MARCO POLO. and My computer is a disturbance. I dont get it.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
But its OK that at on a Saturday Morning I have Pool full of Kids outside my window and everone else's window on that side of the building SCREAMING at the top of there lungs MARCO POLO.
This is pretty typical. More likely than not, he could barely hear your music, but doesnt like what you listen to.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Not to rain on the parade, but when you move into a "covenanted community", you agree to live by a certain set of rules and also agree that these rules supercede your "rights" over your property.

This mercenary "Manager" probably has more legal power than you realize, but the enforcement is extremely problematic. I'd take everyone's advice and start documenting all complaints/conversations, etc. Also head to Radio Shack and pick up an SPL and take measurements outside your door in the hallway. If you're on decent terms with the neighbors, attempt to get a reading inside their units.

This way you'll have a little science on your side. Good Luck, it's a tough situation !

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You didn't say what time it was when he came by. If the noise regs end at seven and it was after that, you can just tell him to go take a flying whatever.

Unless you have additional condo rules. Maybe it can be heard in the halls but not in other units. If that is true, then he can take a .. oh well.

I would have gone into the hallway with him to see just how loud it was, but the SPL reading is a great idea too.

Just my thoughts

Glenn

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
As is usually the case, I'd have to agree with Ryan here. Ya just gotta love his calm, subtle approach :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I suspect I'll have the same problem in future. I fired up my SVS25-31PCi and gave it a proper workout for the first time yesterday after I took delivery of the rest of my gear in my new condo.
that thing shakes the walls, rattles the doors, and I was nowhere near reference level! (at least I don't think I was.) even playing pop music on the radio at a moderate level (I was breaking in speakers and left for a while) you can feel it outside the apartment even with the door closed, just like a pounding disco beat. can't hear anything else, you just feel it. SCARY :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks