My computer wont stay connected to the internet...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Mar 13, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey all,

I remember reading a post about this, but I don't remember if it was on this forum or not. Anyways, I did a search but came up with nothing...so maybe it wasn't on HTF.

So, here's my problem. After leaving my computer unused for a few hours, I am not able to use the internet/email with out restarting my computer.

So for example, I check my email before I go to bed at night and it works. I wake up in the morning, check my email but I can't. It just sits there trying to connect to the server and eventually says it can't find it. Then I open IE, it wont even load my home page...once again it just sits there.

Once I restart my computer though, all is well. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this, or what I can do about it?

I'm using WinXP and I have a cable internet connection.

Thanks.

Andrew

2. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

This happin to a old gateway i had and I changed the motom,that fixed it. hope it that easy for you.:b

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

4. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

I am experiencing the exact same problem...I use a Linksys router to connect a few boxes to the Internet. It worked fine until @home went belly up and cox took over...from what I can gather, it has something to do with the IP addresses/leases via your inet provider...this seems to be a common problem that is widespread...as I find out more and what to do to fix it, I will respond here. One common suggestion is to remove all the drivers for your NIC card and reinstall them. Do the same for (tcp/ip) in Network Neighborhood also...

TK-

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

As of right now, I have fixed the problem. I wont know for sure though if it's totally fixed until I can get a few days to test it out.

I went into my Ethernet Card properties in WinXP. There was a boxed checked that said "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

So, I guess WinXP was putting my network card to sleep, and wasn't waking it back up properly...which of course a reboot will.

I was with [email protected] for my ISP, and ever since @Home went belly-up, I have yet to have any problems. Neither have any of my friends that are with Rogers also. Maybe Rogers managed to get a more stable network up and running than some of the American ISP's. (Which is surprising, since Rogers has always come across as totally incapable of doing anything right LOL)