My computer just died...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brice, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone help me on this...

I've been battling the Lovgate virus for sometime now, and today something went very, very, very wrong. I scanned for the device using a program that has been extremely reliable in the past. It was a basic Lovgate removal tool which got rid of the created files that that Trojan created. But then I did it earlier today and it said that some of the files were to be deleted upon restart. so what do i do? i restart. and then all hell broke loose. It got halfway through the Windows 2000 pro load up screen and then it shows me the blue screen of death with the message as follows:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xED42384c, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed harddrives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart yoru computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on trouble shooting Stop errors.

I restarted and it shows up again, and again, and again. I can't start up in any of the alternate boot methods (F8--- safe mode or any of the other 8 or so selections still end up at this blue message). It's a Compaq Evo n1000v laptop. I really want to keep the stuff that's on the harddrive and don't want to loose any of my data. I have already started up in F10 and checked my harddrive (the quick mode completed, but the 30 minute in depth mode failed to finish), my roommate says that my computer may have bad sectors and what the hell am i supposed to do now? I don't have anyway to work with it... it's times like this that I wish i had a Mac... I am starting to really hate this computer. Thanks, Hopefully anyone out there can help me. I never did install any new components or anything. so that doesn't apply to me. I also never did install a new hard drive controller either. I am really pissed off and I really really need my computer working ASAP. Brice

2. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

i believe i gotta get a boot disc or at the least Norton's Systemworks to get in there and take care of what's wrong. I am constantly crossing my fingers that all my stuff is still there and it's just a bad sector in the harddrive while it's booting up. Anyone out there know of this? what i've searched out on this doesn't help me in this exact situation. Thanks, Brice

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Could it be a boot-sector virus preventing you from booting up?

4. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

probably, that's what i'm thinking. Stupid viruses! I'm going to take it to my school's tech guys tomorrow and see what they can do. I hope they don't decide to be stupid and delete everything to fix it. If they have a copy of Norton's Systemworks then i'll be happy. I hope this next week isn't too rocky. I just ordered a digital camera today too, and i hope to have a computer ready for it when it gets to me. Brice

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Darn, I was hoping that you wanted all of us to pray for it after you gave it a decent burial [​IMG]

You did a lot of stuff really fast, and I think that you'll agree that that restart was a no-no. Not your fault. One, or more of your files got tweaked a little bit too much.

If I have this right, you cannot load up a fresh copy of 2k because it keeps on getting stuck. The OS is interferring with you loading up the OS. ???

I have been stuck like that and just start deleating the windows (or in your case, the 2K) files, but this is easiest done at a dos prompt. You should be able to remove all of the windows files, install a fresh OS and retain your info and data. If you can do that, that would be your best bet, IMO.

Glenn

6. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

i got all the files i wanted off my computer with a little help with a Linux OS that loaded from a disc a friend hooked me up with. And now i am reformatting my drive and wiping it. It took 9 hours to go from 23% to 24% in the formatting? is there something wrong here? Brice

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Go to the harddisk manufacturer's webpage and download their diagnostics tool. It will typically be a floppy you can boot with, then run the diagnostics tools to see if there are hardware issues (which it sure sounds like).

-Christian

8. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

After testing the hard drive if it is good try this. Boot off the Win2k CD-ROM and choose the repair process, have it check everything. After it reboots, reload the last service pack.

9. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

Yes, i am referring to Knoppix... yes it saved my ass... but i am starting to think that my problem may be physical. Might need to swap the hard drive with a fresh/clean one... hopefully this is an easy thing with Laptops... especially ones from Compaq. Brice

10. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

11. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

well, my hard drive died officially yesterday. Definate Hard Drive Failure is Emminant (or whatever), and Hard Drive Servo failure... yay... can you get a 2.5" hard drive pretty much anywhere? like staples and the like, because if they are not going to fix this problem for me for free, then i want a back up available. thoughts? and hopefully this laptop is one of those "most" for replacing the hard drives. Brice