What's new

My Computer Doesn't Turn On...Just Beeps (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
This has never happened before. I bring my computer home from college, hook up the monitor, mouse, keboard, plug everything in, and all I get is loud sustained beeps. Nothing comes on the screen. Did something get bumped? something loose? I didn't have time to tinker with the inside yet.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
what is the sequence of the beeps...

Example.... long short short short

and what Bios does your motherboard use. knowing this the good ol internet can tell us what the problem is.

My guess is the video card or memory is no longer plugged in. check all your connections adaptor cards (vid, modem, nic ect) memory chips and check the connections to hard drives and cd/dvd roms ect.

Bill Wise

Agent
Chuck,

Chris nailed it... the beeps mean that the PC is failing its POST. The most likely causes are the RAM and/or video card wiggled loose in transport. The BIOS rev. and beep sequence would tell us for sure, though.

Regards,

Bill

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Open the case and take a look,
If you just moved it, chances are something may have came loose. Check the memory to see they are all standing up correctly, all isa/pci/agp cards to make sure they are seated firmly.
The others are correct about the beep codes.
I have found pci/agp video cards tend to come loose more often then others.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I back Jerry on the videocard being loose. Happened a lot with my old PC. A quick push of the card back into its slot solved the problem.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to beat a dead horse, but this same thing happened to me last night. My PC slipped as I was re-adjusting it's position and my video card popped out (while it was powered-on!!)...i have a heavy heatsink on my ATI that contributed to that problem. anyway, as everyone else has suggested, crack it open and check it out.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
ah...that's probably it guys, thanks!

UPDATE: cable from HD to motherboard was loose

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks