What's new

My completed Tempest sub with pics. (1 Viewer)

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity how much does sothing liek this cost to build. I had been thinkin I would go to canada and get either a pw220 or ps1200 ...but ive seen some really nice DIY jobs and was curious what a nice one like this costs

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
For a budget tempest build in $US
$150 - shipped Tempest
$136 - 250 watt plate amp @ 4 ohms
$24 - 2 Precision flared ports
$40 - 2 sheets of A-grade 3/4" MDF for panels and bracing
Cost is $80-200 for a sheet of factory MDF laminate.
Or you could use Paint, veneer, or thin laminate.
Budget Speaker wire + interconnect = $15
My total was $400 but I used one $80 sheet of maple laminate and 1 sheet of MDF.
btw, outlook for my box being finished by Friday is good. :)

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

Like Chris has pointed out the Tempest driver, plate amp, ports, speaker wire and misc hardware probably comes to about $325-$350. If you watch the Parts Express site, you can get the plate amp on sale at times for $99.95 instead of $125. Looking for specials really helps the bottom line and lowers that $325-$350 figure. Don't forget to add shipping costs when you get to planning a budget. Once you've accounted for the basics then it's up to you as far as the cabinet is concerned. If you use MDF and don't get too elaborate with the finish, glue, a couple of sheets of MDF and paint probably run about $40-$50. If you want to veneer the sub or do fancy wood trim, like I did, then you could add $50-$125 to that figure. Also, if you choose to use Baltic Birch plywood instead of MDF, that adds to the cost as well. That's one of the fun things about DIY. You get to choose what you want the final product to look like and sound like.

Jeff

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
one more quick question from me. I've just recently started looking around atthese pages and sites associated with them. How tough is it to build a nice one of these. With a fair amout of reseach and planning can someone makea nice one or is it really difficult. Thanks for humoring a newbie

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

With the proper power tools, a knowledge of how to use them safely and patience, you probably could build a sub. People with less woodworking experience and fewer power tools usually opt to build a sonotube sub which can be easier to build. It's an individual decision as to which kind of sub to build or whether you should buy one or not. Only you can decide. These forum are, however, a great place to see what is possible and to get an education.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks