My completed Tempest sub with pics.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_S, May 5, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm finally done! This sub sounds great! It does lows without any effort at all. It gives that added punch to explosions and other effects in movies. It's tight and sounds great with music as well. It only took me about 2 1/2 weeks to build. Here are some pics of the final result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So what do you think? And by the way, SAF is high on this baby!
    Jeff

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Damn, that thing is gorgeous. I love the black and wood combo.

BTW, what kind of wood is that trim?

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Looks great. Makes me sort of wish I had done wooden covers for the endcaps on my sub.

4. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Jeffrey and Dustin.

Jeff,

Thats Tiger Maple, one of my favorite woods, with no stain applied.

Jeff

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    That looks fantastic Jeff! I sure wish my new Tempest looked like that. All mine has is white primer on it.
    Did you make instructions while doing that? If so, can I get them. I want my Tempest to look like that. [​IMG]

6. Jeffrey_S

Hi Scott,
    I've posted some pics in a previous thread showing the process. I'll show some of them again below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The wood trim on the front and back is 4" x 3/4" x the length of the sub. The trim on the sides is 3 1/4" x 3/4". The trim pieces are all butt jointed. I rounded over the edges as can be seen in the photos.
    If you need any other info, let me know.
    Jeff

7. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Very nice,....VERY nice,...

>>>--->

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Nice Jeff, you inspire me.

My panels are cut for my tempest, I'm tinkering with my DIY site now and will start a thread soon.

The shop only had $200 maple sheets so I'm going to order a cheaper sheet and finish it next sunday.

So you didn't finish the wood -- will it last without a protective coat?

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Dam, loooks exactly like that one commercial sub, ACI Titan I believe? VERY nice looking work there Jeffrey, so how does it sound, and oh ya, what are the specs on the box, ports, etc etc.

10. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Kevin, Chris and Cam!

Chris,

I meant I didn't stain the trim. I did use Bartley's gel varnish, however to seal the wood and bring out the grain.

Cam,

The sub is the vented Tempest Adire Alignment from the Adire web site. I modified it a bit for the plate amp. I also reinforced the baffle with a second layer of baltic birch ply. The Tempest is also flush mounted which differs from the plan on the site. All internal dimensions were maintained. It sounds great. It's only half broken in but already I'm very pleased with the subs performance.

Jeff

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Mean looking. How about some specs, weight, net internal volume, etc. I bet it sounds wicked.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Awesome. Did you get the idea of that look from the Titan II LE? I've always loved the look of the Titan II LE.

What are the dimentions of that baby?

13. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Neil and Jeff!

I really like the solid wood trim look too. I have always liked this kind of a base as well. I think the combination of the two make this large box of a sub look lighter and generally more attractive. More importantly, that's what my wife thinks.

Ok. Here are some specifics:

Height: 40" with spikes

Width: 23 1/2"

Depth: 23 1/2"

It's a modified vented Tempest Adire Alignment = 214L. I haven't weighed it but I estimate a little over 100 lbs with driver and plate amp in place. I made it using baltic birch ply to try to keep the weight down.

Jeff

14. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

15. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Nick!

Nick,

That's a great question. I considered compensating for the amp displacement by increasing the internal volume of the sub but decided not to in the end. I wasn't sure what the displacement of the plate amp was and I felt that the cut-out I made for the amp would increase the internal volume somewhat. Also, the baltic birch ply I used, although its labeled as 3/4" is in actuality about 3/64" thiner. This factor only affects the solid portions of the bracing as I was careful to keep my internal dimensions to a true 20 1/2" square x 32". I guess in retrospect I could have included these things in my calculations but I decided that they probably wouldn't influence the end result significantly. I also didn't take into account the volume of the silicone II I used to make sure that all the wood joinery was air-tight. If someone more experienced than I would care to comment on my assumptions, I'd appreciate it.

Hope this info helps.

Jeff

16. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Jeff,

Sub looks awesome. Love the wood/black paint combo. When I build a traditional sub for the bedroom that's the look I want. I'm guessing that your design/look will be copied by more than a few on this site.

I still haven't had the time to measure my dual Tempest yet, but I'm already thinking about building a twin!

Post some measurements when you get a chance.

Take care...Mike

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jeff,

Did the Maple top come already laminated together or did you do some laminating to join the pannels together? Also, how did you join the corner maple trim? Did you use butt joints and roundover? Is there a seam? How thick is the baseplate? What kind of black paint did you use?

18. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Mike!

Jeff,

I jointed the tiger maple top together from 13/16" stock that was originally 4 quarter before planing, and sanding to desired thickness. It is solid wood. The rest of the trim is made from the same stock and butt jointed together. I choose the butt joint since I wanted to round over the corner. There is a seam but it really isn't that visible as I clamped carefully during glue-up. I just used Rustoleum Painter's Choice flat black. I used a foam roller to carfully prevent any lap marks.

Jeff

19. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Fabulous looking sub! That's the same design plan that I have decided to build, even as far as the mounting the amp on the side of the enclosure.

Where did you find those legs? they look great....and how did you fasten the trim? paneling adhesive perhaps?

Thanks

Greg

20. Jeffrey_S

Thanks Greg!
    The legs are just 1 1/2" PVC pipe spray-painted black. They are fastened with hardware I got from McMaster-Carr online. Some more detailed pics of the base assembly can be seen in the following thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=66508
    As far as adhesive is concerned, I guess I could have used anything but I has some extra NorthCreekMusic soft-glue laying around so I used that for the wood trim.
    Jeff