What's new

My Completed Home Theater (1 Viewer)

SteveEasley

Auditioning
I figured I would make my first post on HomeTheaterForum about my favorite thing, my Home Theater. I completed it about 8 months ago (but just got around to finishing the website to show it).

My main goal with the theater was to create something that my family and friends could enjoy, and do so on the limited budget I had. To stay in budget I had to forego most accoustic treatments, instead concentrating on design and comfort. I spent most of my money on the Berkline 090 home theater seating.

All in all I think it turned out awesome. I have really enjoyed the room and the experience has been invaluable. I learned many things that I will apply to my next bigger..better theater.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve

That is one outstanding construction job. I really like the attention to detail, such as separating the subwoofer section of the stage from the rest, and I might just steal that little idea from you and do it myself. My stage is built, all one piece, 14 feet wide. Another small idea I might use is the bull-nose on the edge of the round portion of the stage. Is it hard to wrap carpet around this?

The colours are excellent, modern and "earthy" but not overly bright or dark.

How do you like the light controller system? I was thinking of Smarthome's Switchlinc series of scene-capable dimmers, but have not bought anything yet. I am always trying to learn which are the best, most flexible, most durable etc.

Also, I sort of chuckled about the word 'budget' when I read your equipment list. The Denon receiver is either their flagship, or one small step below, and the M&K speakers are up there too. Your budget is heftier than mine, as I try to patch together a system with hand-me-down parts.

Well, terrific job. It has an excellent, comfortable look to it ! Cheers, Tom Kay, Ottawa Canada.

SteveEasley

Auditioning
Thanks for all the complements.

BrianKR -
>I wanna see more pictures
I will post somemore this weekend. The reason I dont have many construction pics up (I am sickend evertime I think about this) is that my HTPC/Media Server crashed last month. The hard drive apparently has a bad sector on it. I have a utility that allows my to access the NTFS volume with a bootup floppy, but I can only copy over a few files at a time because I have to save them to a floppy disk. Anyway...I plan to try to salvage more.

Tom Kay -
>Is it hard to wrap carpet around this?
As long as the lip is rounded it is not a big deal. I had a carpet installer do the job though. That is the only hired help I used for the entire project.

>The colours are excellent, modern and "earthy" but not overly bright or dark.
Yep, I was happy with the way that turned out. The room is bright and cheery when the lights are up, and plenty dark when the lights are off. The black ceiling is a big help in making the room feel bigger.

>How do you like the light controller system?
I'm not familiar with the Switchlinc stuff. Does it support automation via X10 or something? My Lutron (which I got for a steal on eBay) supported IR control via there own remote. I modified the Lutron by installing a small IR transmitter over the eye of the Lutron. This transmitter is run (via CAT5) back to an IR connecting block. My HTPC acts as an automation controller with Girder and a USB-UIRT. I have Girder setup with "Start Movie", Intermission, etc macros. Pretty neat system, and dirt cheap.

>I sort of chuckled about the word 'budget'
Actually I already had all of the video/audio gear from a previous house. I was referring to how much I spent on the retro-fit contruction of the room and accessories (seating, lighting, carpeting, equipment rack, etc). The total spent for all this was around $6000. Which as anyone that gets into this hobby knows, is pretty darn cheap.

But yea, the gear cost me probably $12,000 or so.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Very, very nice. This is the first theater I've seen to have this color, neato. Feels good to know I'm not the only one with a dedicated room and no front projector. :D

The room is very sweet though, the curtains and everything look awesome. Congrats.

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
Great job. I have no doubt you and your family are spending many hours enjoying the room.

Nice job on the website too...

SteveEasley

Auditioning
Gary - They are Berkline 090's.

Also, I notice you are from Columbia/Clemson. I live in Columbia (Irmo actually). Small world!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks