What's new

My Company Just Canceled Holidays! (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I'm so pissed off I could scream. I can see why our boss told us in an email rather than face to face AND on a day she wasn't in the office.

Seems that the new policy is that if your regularly scheduled work day falls on a holiday you're expected to work that day unless you take it as vacation! We do get paid 2x regular wages but frankly I'd like the days to spend with my family. As it is, Thanksgiving, the following day, Christmas Eve (which the company made as a holiday this year offsetting the fact Christmas falls on a Saturday), and New Year's Eve will all be spent in the office and as I work until midnight it's not like I can make any parties.

This policy does not apply to management.

This was just sprung on us today. Isn't that swell? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ooh bad form! Spineless employers make me sick. If it chaps your hide that much, do what I did: QUIT! ;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Damn. What kind of job do you have?

Christmas Eve is a Friday this year.

EDIT: I see in your profile that you're a cable network support technician. What do you do at the office?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, what exactly what do you do for a living?

I could see it if you were in some business like television news where frankly there is a reason to work holidays but how productive could you possibly be on Thanksgiving if most of the other companies in the country are closed?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I'm a tech support wank. People's internet service craps out and they call us, go through 2 levels of support, and if it isn't fixed by then it lands in our lap. Not quite life-and-death.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Mind if I ask an off topic question, what's with all the ad links inserted in peoples posts these days?
I started noticing these about three weeks ago, in posts there are keywords that link to an advertizement associated with that word (such as Television).
Do you guys get payed for this?

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I can understand being upset at having it sprung on you like that, and even more so that it does not apply to management. The policy should be consistent across the board.
But that is about as far as it goes as employers aren't really required to provide anyone with any paid holidays. It is part of the employment package and they can set it up how they see fit. The decent thing to do would have been to give notice that starting 2005 the new policy is XXXXXXXXX, but to come out and say "as of today" is BS.

I work in healtcare and we don't get a single holiday. If we want the day off, it comes out of our paid time off (PTO) pool, same as vacation, sick days and anything else. If we don't schedule it off, we are in working.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that's tech support.
Every place I've worked has had that policy and it's bullshit.

for the record I'm doing something now that IS actually life and death, and I get mjor holidays off. :laugh:

LewB

Screenwriter
Got any 'off-site' management coverage while you are stuck at work ? If so, I think they need to be paged with some kind of trivial matter as late into your shift as possible. :wink:

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

I went thru the exact same stuff when I did remote tech support for gas station computer systems. They usually have one MGR on site for the whole tech desk, and they are usually just hanging out.

Their worst policy wasn't holidays; it was making sick days and vacation days the same thing. So if you got 15 vacation days, and you were sick, you couldn't stay home without burning a vacation day. So the consequence was people would come to work deathly ill and get everyone else in the whole office sick, and then just crash and recover on their days off.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
That was the same policy as well at the call center I did tech support for a major ISP.

Since schedules changed every week, they had several rules. First, if you worked that particular day of the week for the previous three weeks, you had the holiday off and were paid for it. If you had the holiday off but had that day off in one of the previous three weeks, you had the day off but were not paid for it. If you were scheduled to work, you had to work but were paid double time for it. You could take the day off and use vacation, but since there were only a limited number of vacation "slots", you had to sign up early (like August or September). Of course the schedules weren't published until a week or two before, so you had no idea if you needed to take the day off until it was too late. Nice, huh?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah, thanks Lee.

Rather annoying but it could be worse & if it helps HTF stay afloat that's cool.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Actually I love this policy. It simplifies things for both workers and management. First off, they don't care what your reason is, as long as you call. You could have the flu or just don't want to come in, so it eliminates lying. And I really like it because I don't get sick often, so I still get to use my vacation does when I want. Otherwise, I'd have a whole bunch of sick days I'd never use and very little vacation time.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Like Patrick S, I cannot imagine the plummet in productivity on those holidays. Although 2x pay does take the sting off slightly.

About the links...I'm on a Mac and see no embedded links. I'm actually curious to see how this works and wonder if anyone on the same OS is not seeing this?

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

Nooooo!!!!

And I was really looking forward to Halloween this year. You must work for a very influential company to be able to cancel all holidays like that... is it Microsoft? Wal-Mart?

;)

-Mike

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
OT

It's implemented via some tricky CSS and JavaScript. I usually browse HTF with Konqueror on Linux, and they don't show up. However, some testing revealed that it works with Microsoft Internet Exploder and Mozilla FireFox (only tested on Windows). I'm not sure about Opera or other browsers.

-Mike

EDIT: BTW, Safari for the Mac uses the same rendering engine as Konqueror (KHTML)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks