What's new

My close call with death (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for sharing such a tremendous story of recovery, luck, and medical skill. That was amazing!

GREAT to hear the happy ending.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Scott, sorry to hear about your accident but glad you're back in the game. Also sorry to hear about your close call, Mike. A friend of mine had a friend who survived being hit by a drunk driver only to die unexpected from a clot.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I never got into motorcycles because in California the drivers are from all over the world and have culturally different views on how much attention they should pay to driving. My fun vehicle now is a Miata and I've installed a decent functional rollbar. Not the safest vehicle but a step up from a bike.

mylan

Screenwriter
A close call indeed, I am happy to hear that you are ok. Clotting saved my mother just two weeks ago from a bleeding ulcer. It was as in your case the difference between certain death and life, just like that.
I am of the opinion that it is not if but when one will have an accident on a motorcycle, last year my brother-in-law was hit by an SUV that pulled out in his path and knocked him across the road. They tried to save his right leg for almost a year but have recently amputated it below the knee.
He still wants to ride and has ordered a Victory,probably similiar to yours, I think he has a death wish. I love bikes, just not enough to get on one!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Wow...thanks to all of you for your wonderful support. You really have no idea how much it means to me. What a wonderful feeling that so many people have such honest and true compassion.

I have never even met any of you in person, but like Ron said, it still feels like an online family. I feel truly blessed to be a part of this family.

I went back to the hospital today for a checkup. The x-rays look better. My ribs are still a mess, but the fluid in/around my lungs is a bit better. They are talking about removing the filter from me in a couple of weeks. That should be a gross feeling since they have to take it out of my neck! It looks like this:

Reminds me of the bug they put into Neo on "The Matrix" Strange to think that is inside me along with 10cm of some sort of plastic tubing feeding my heart.

Overall, I still feel very blessed. Thanks so much for letting me share my story here. Again, thanks SO much for the great feedback. It means so much to me.

God bless.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I know you've already figured out that this can be a blessing in disguise; you're not only more cognizant of and thankful for the riches in your life you enjoy, you have opened many of our eyes as well.

I dumped a bike once, going around 30 mph. My story is nowhere near as compelling as yours, but I do remember the sound of my helmet banging against the pavement several times. I sold the bike without ever riding it again.

Thanks for sharing. Take good care and get yourself healed.

Jon

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Your accident and what you have suffered as a result is something no one ever wants to experience. Fortunately, the dice came up sevens instead of snake eyes. After reading your description, I would say that you are one lucky guy: first, in that, you survived such a horrendous incident and second, in that, you have had a great support group during your recovery. I just want to wish you a continued speedy recovery.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to hear you're doing better Scott. You read about things like this in the paper or see it on the news but when it happens to someone you're "familiar" with (as in "family"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
it hits a lot harder. On a forum like this the members do become like a little family, including the occasional squabble every now and again

Reading Scott's close call should be a reminder that every day could be your last so enjoy every minute of it, and the people you love, as best as you can.

I'm just getting ready to go for a little Sunday morning drive in my '70 Fiat 124 conv and will certainly be a little more careful than usual. It's a fun little car but safety-wise I should paint it red and put "Radio-Flyer" on the side! :eek: .

And again Scott, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Let me say that again.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Glad you are still with us. I read not too long ago how most torn aortas occur during traffic accidents because the body comes to a sudden stop, however the heart continues traveling forward at the same speed the body was traveling and the aorta has no wiggle room so it tears off. Count your blessings and sell the bike.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That is an amazing survival story, and it occurs to me that if this accident had been as short as 40 years ago, in the exact same circumstances, the medical skills may not have been there for you. It is a good day to be alive.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Glad to hear you're OK, Scott! Good luck with the further medical care and stay safe!

Now get yourself a nice Escalade. ;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Hello Scott,
Ive seen you around and dont know you as well as some of the others here but I have to say thats an increbile story and glad your drs know what they were doing.

HTF is a great place with great people and yes it is a family. Glad we didnt lose you.

God bless
Matt

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Scott,
Only found this thread today.
You're a lucky man.
I ride, and if you don't mind I would like some more details about your protective gear.
If anything is to be learned from this accident, something that might save another life, please share.
What style helmet did you have on? Must have been a good one, everything that happened to you seemed to be below the neck.
You may not remember the accident, but did the driver make a left in front of you?
My bike is a Moto Guzzi, I do enjoy it, about 35,000 miles in just over 21 months, but, there are risks.
I think you getting to the keyboard as fast as you did is very impressive.
Get stronger soon.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Scott, I saw the subject line and thought to myself, "Hey..I had a brush with death years ago too." But then I read your account and was speechless. Good to have you back on the mend, bro... :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

So far they've had quite a few customers take them up on their offer.

It's heartening to see the progress in safety gear these days.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
You woke up? Did you feel anything?

I understand why but that's pretty bad itself.

A friend of mine had a rod shoved into his liver for the insertion of a drain tube.
However the physician negleted to wait for the anesthesia to take effect. Of course my friend felt everything.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

Thanks Henry,

I was wearing a typical "beanie" style helmet. Here is a pic of what it looked like afterwards:

It did its job! I am very happy with how well it protected me.

No, I had a driver cut me off from my left at the same time another car pulled out in the lane on my right. Perfect storm. I had nowhere to go but down.

When I woke up during the operation, I only recall some doctor making a smart-ass remark about my size and the second time I remember having a sheet across my face that annoyed me. Other than that, I was out for the whole crazy long surgery. The real pain has been since then. My ribs are such a mess. I get times where it feels like I just cant breathe...which makes me panic a little...which makes it worse...etc. My accident was a month ago today! I am doing much better (obviously) but still seems like a long ways to go.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It makes me so happy to hear from each of you!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Hang in there Scott. Thank goodness you are a smart motorcycler and you were wearing your helmet. The human body is an amazing thing and a month from now you will feel a lot lot better I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks