My chiropractor is killing his Hitachi!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

My chiropractor was joking with me about my DVD obsession, when I mentioned that I was having my RPTV ISF calibrated next month. His response? "Mine has a button you push that focuses everything."

It turns out he has a Hitachi 51" widescreen RPTV... running at the factory default settings! No calibration... just 100% contrast, standard settings. I'm going to try to convince him to let me come to his house with Avia.

I mention this only because it just felt CRIMINAL for someone to have gone to the trouble of getting a sweet set like that and not take the time to really set it up right. CRIMINAL, I TELL YOU! Maybe it's just a sign that I am truly obsessive about this stuff, but I was almost offended. Hopefully he'll let me come tweak it out for him.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

then youll get free chiropractor visits to hehe[​IMG]

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

4. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

jeremy

don't feel bad. i was at my neighbor's for dinner and i noticed the same thing about his set. i noticed his set seemed to be in torch mode and his picture via cable was terrible. i wanted to say/ask him about it but didn't feel it was my place. i even asked my wife, who certainly isn't as "particular" about picture quality, what she thought about his picture, and she also said it was terrible. i figured if an adult can may such a purchase and not be informed...live and learn. the internet is a wonderful place to become "educated" if one chooses. i also thought being a neighbor that maybe sometime when he's at my house i'll mention something about calibration and avia at that time. until then, i'll continue enjoying my(more)properly calibrated set and better picture! rick

5. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Just curious...I'm just getting into HT, and have never calibrated anything, because 1) I didn't know you could and 2) I didn't know how. I just got a new 27" TV for my bedroom, and I just use my PS2 for the DVD player. It's not even a great TV (RCA F27450), no HDTV or even flatscreen. It's also not hooked up to any audio devices. With that said, is calibration something I should still look into, even on my low-end, cheap setup? How would I go about doing so? Thanks.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Calibrate with Avia Tim, the dics is well worth the cost, and will only become more useful when you upgrade your tv, which you will, we all do cause HT is an obsession [​IMG]

7. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks John,

Could you give me a link or explain what exactly it calibrates and how it does so? Thanks again.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

9. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

tim,

yes, but that Avia can be found elsewhere up to $10 cheaper. Also for $15 for starting out, the same (Ovation) company offers the Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disk. Look at amazon.com Type the words sound and vision in the searcvh box.

And check the HTF great info page at Beginners Primer & FAQs, with the access icon located atop the Basics Area board. Here is a calibration LINK.

Serious calibrators with a 5.1 (with Sub) sound system also will buy the $35 Sound Pressure Level meter at RadioShack.

bill

11. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

If you think he'll appreciate the improvement after your calibration and leave the settings untouched, go for it. But maybe he'll find it "too dark" and later readjust the settings to something that pleases him.

At least try to convince him to turn the contrast down to 50% max and set the color temp to Warm. If he gets used to the result and likes it, do the Avia thing. And if he likes that, start working on him to get it professionally calibrated. [​IMG]

12. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

OK, thanks. I think I'll just get the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc for now. As I said I'm just using my TV audio for now. It's hard to believe this disc will be able to help me get a better picture, but I'll give it a shot, it must work.

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Get Avia, its all you will ever need, and you will notice a big difference, but remember trust the disc and let yoursel get used to the settings

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Tim,

If you have a 27" Tube set, it may/may not be worth using Avia. Tubes are much more forgiving and less in need of it than larger RPTVs. Feel free to give it a shot, but I don't know if you will notice much on your 27" Tube. It probably looks pretty good right now with the defaults.

-Joe

15. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

OH DEAR GOD, IT GETS WORSE! I talked some more with my chiropractor today, who tells me "I leave the TV on all day... on ESPN for my dogs."

100% contrast, default settings, and ON ESPN!!! Could you pick a worse channel for risking burn-in?

He's agreed to let me come tweak it out after I explained what the Avia disc was, so maybe I can convert him.

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Joe: Most good 27-inch direct-view displays from the really good manufacturers are pretty unforgiving of the source material pumped into them. They are enormously pleasing to watch. JB (IMO!)

17. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Inexpensive direct views can also benefit from AVIA. They can also have a shorter life in torch mode.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

He has dogs- THAT explains it! [​IMG]

19. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Yes, but how often do you adjust a set for a friend or relative only to find it right back to torch/cartoon color mode the next time you visit? It gets rather discouraging.

20. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

ESPN for dogs?!? Why not Animal Planet?