My center channel is not loud as other speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David G Greene, Jun 26, 2003.

1. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I own an HK 110. I have the volume up to +10 on all channels,but the center just recently started sounding like it's set to -10. What eles can I do?

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

3. David G Greene

4. sonny_b

sonny_b Agent

If you put all the speakers at +10 you are just raising the volume on all the speakers. What you need to do is properly calibrate your speakers and distances using an SPL meter and tape measure (if your receiver allows distances). This will enable a constant db level at the listening position.

Its like if you get an EQ and just pump up all the freq. It really isn't doing what it was designed to do.

-sonny

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I agree that your levels are set incorrectly. Besides, if you lower all the channels, except the center, the center will be louder. I don't understand your logic of setting all your channels at +10. Why not set them all at zero and increase the center channel to make it louder. It wouldn't hurt to consider getting a calibration DVD (Avia, Video Essentials) and a SPL meter (from Radio Shack). Proper calibration makes a HUGE difference.

6. David G Greene

My complaint is not proper calibration or settings. It's just about volume. Even when I do a test tone with all speakers set to -10,I can barely hear it. I think somethings wrong with my unit. I need more help please.

[​IMG]

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

do you have a cinema mode...night mode etc..that lowers the CC during those late hours? could be it..check your dvd player...and get a spl meter...these guys as well as I know...you get that and avia/VE and you won't have any problems...

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

If you have a defective unit, there's nothing that you, or anyone on this forum can do. Calibrate your speakers first, determine a problem (if any), then return the unit or take it in for service once you've definately established that there's a problem.

9. David G Greene

Thanks guys for you help. I'm going to return it to Harman Audio.

[​IMG]

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

David

It's unfortunate your returning the H/K on that reason alone!
    It (may very well have a problem), but you do not know this FOR SURE till you use a ~{calibration disc and spl meter}~ as others have mentioned a number of times already. [​IMG]

Your method for testing is flawed badly regardless if you have 2 of them and one works different. Calibration of your receiver wth it's speakers being used is mandatory if you care to get the most out of it.
    Thats why your into DD DTS 5.1 anyway right?

A quick stroll over to the Basics Area and read the ~{FAQ Primer}~ will help you to understand what and why everyone is telling you to do this!
    A search for "Calibration" also will bring plenty for you to read also

Even if the H/K-Receiver is BAD, "lets just say for now", once you get a new one, proper calibration of the system is an absolute MUST!!!!!
    You will enjoy the sound your system produces much more believe me..[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

11. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

My 2 cents;

If your to front mains have an efficiency rating of say 92 dB and your center has a rating of

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

You don't pump all the channels to 10+ and then find the center is not loud enough.
    Well duh!

You should start with all speaks at 0 and calibrate accordingly with a proper disc like VE, Avia, S&V and a spl meter. Some receivers will let you drop the mains down below 0 to compensate for just such problems with speaker efficiency.

It's just crazy the way David was basing his decision that the receiver is broke on this. Few can set a system up using their ear as as a spl guide. Many receivers test tones are not perfectly accurate to begin with when using your ear or a spl meter as a guide, then tested against a calibration disc.

I don't mean to be rude, but the information David gave on his center problem and ~{how he has come to the conclusion his receiver is possibly defective}~, is just whacked! [​IMG]

On "rare cases" the center speaker efficiency is so low as to not allow the receiver to compensate. If your mains are 95db and the center chosen to use is 86db, then this surly could pose a problem.
    Generally, if the center and mains ~{are from the same speaker line}~ you will not see this drastic of a db difference. 1 to 3db would be more typical of what you might see.

I hope he can & will invest in these tools so he can properly configure & calibrate his speaker/sub levels and get the system he has to perform to it best ability's....

Regards
    Geoff

13. David G Greene

Geoff L

I'm not returning it to get my money back ,but for repair to the center channel. I called Harmon Audio. They said that they would fix it.
    They understood what I was saying when I said "I have the volume up to +10 on all channels,but the center just recently started sounding like it's set to -10". It's still under warranty.

Thank GOD!!!!!!

On my other HK,it has a SPL ON THE REMOTE!!!!! The other one works fine when I use the SPL meter on the remote. The HK that is broken is not working right because the amp on the center channel is out of wack. It goes all the way up to +10 & it still does calibrate right. I hope that everyone understands now.

[​IMG]

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi David

Things are a little clearer now, thanks![​IMG]

I still would Highly recommend a proper Calibration disc and SPL meter.

Do you have these?

I have not used a H/K built in remote spl meter, and would be slightly leary of it's accuracy.
    May be a good start and get you close or possibly even better, ~{others may comment on just how accurate they are}~. I would be more prone to put my trust in the (proven to work items) already mentioned. They also contain many useful test for checking all aspects of ones audio & video in their system.

The New Digital Avia calibration disc is about to be released if you do not own a good calibration disc yet. S&V test disc will do just fine for around 15.00+ if a cheaper route might be necessary. The Rat Shack analog spl-meter is around 37.00 if you get it during their once a year sale.

Hope you see your H/K returned soon and best of luck....

Regards
    Geoff

15. David G Greene

H/K built in remote spl meter works fine enough. Believe me.

Thanks for all you guys help.

[​IMG]

16. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

I've come late to this thread, but I understood the original post to say that it was working properly, and now it's not. Obviously something changed. My first thought was that the center speaker possibly had a popped tweeter. I'm assuming you swapped some speakers around to rule that out. Good luck with the repair.

17. David G Greene

Paul.Little

Yeh. I did swapped some speakers around long before I posted on this board. Thanks again. I'll get you guys know how everything turn out later.

[​IMG]

18. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Hmm.. I have a H/K 520, and found the SPL feature to be annoying to implement when I tried using the EZset feature several times. A tripod and a Radio shack SPL weighted at C and set to slow seemed faster and gave me the results I wanted.

YMMV.