What's new

My Ceiling Fan turns on Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

My subwoofer turns on with a thump almost everytime I turn on our ceiling fan. It's set in the rear of our living room (best place I could find for it). I ran the cable up to the ceiling, across the attic, and down to the controller.

My initial suspicion was that my cable crossed one of the wires that provide power to the fan. I checked, and it does cross some wires but they do not make physical contact with eachother.

I'm assuming this problem could damage the sub so, if anyone can give me some ideas to prevent it from turning on, please let me know.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I've also noticed that if I move the coax cable into a specific angle at the connection with the controller, the sub turns on and rattles the whole house until I adjust the cable back. I've checked the connections and they seem to be fine. Would this mean I have a bad controller, or the connection to controller is bad, or both?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My first question would be: Are you powering the subwoofer on the same electrical circuit that the ceiling fan is wired to? Because that will do what you're describing. The only way around that is either 1) run a dedicated circuit for your home theater or 2) get a line noise conditioner for the outlet that the sub plugs into (which is an iffy solution and may not work). If the two items aren't on the same circuit, then it's possible that your sub cable isn't shielded enough and the proximity to the ceiling fan wires is causing the problem.

If the coax causes a buzzing at certain angles, that sounds like bad cable or (more likely) a bad jack or solder where the jack connects to the wire inside. If you can pinpoint the spot on the cable that causes noise when you bend it, you can cut the cable off behind that point and solder a new jack on the end. If you don't want to do that, run a whole new cable and make sure it's well shielded.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
And to what Jeremy mentioned about it being on the same circuit, just how is that fan being turned on? Via a switch or do you pull a chain?

Ron Sc

Agent
It sounds like the fan has a ground issue and / or the Hot (Black) wire and the Nutral(white) wire are reversed on the ceiling fan.:D

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
This is kinda related to my computer subwoofer, it's Klipsch so dont think it's a tiny useless one :angry:

When i smack two cans together it'll pop, or a boom/pop insync. When i was pickin up coke cans in the room and i dropped a can in the garbage bag, it nailed another can and made the subwoofer pop. I experimented with this and before i knew it i had a band goin.

What's with that?

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
My cell phone would turn on my Energy s8.2 sub. I would have to be in close proimity and hit the send/recieve call button on my phone for it to happen. I noticed this by accident one day, very odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks