What's new

My CD-ROM drive tray won't open. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've had the CD-ROM drive for 3 years now, and have used it alot. Now when I hit the open button, it'll make the noise like it wants to open, but won't unless I pull on the lip of it. It shuts fin when I hit the button though. Also no games or music CDs will pkay in it. Other than that, my computer is running great. Did the CD-ROM drive just finally shit the bed from being used so much? Should I just replace it? Is there any way I can fix it? I'm not very computer literate, but if you spell it out in layman's terms, I'm sure I could probably figure out how to get it going again.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes you should just replace it. Repairing it is way more trouble than it's worth. All you need to replace it yourself is a phillps head screwdriver and 10 minutes

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Sounds like a good opportunity to replace it with a DVD/CD-RW combo drive to me...

And yes, it's better to just replace it than try to fix it. CD-ROM drives are dirt cheap nowadays.

KJP

KyleS

Screenwriter
Much better to just replace then to fix and sooner is better then later. Good Idea to replace it before it eats a CD..... Sure laugh it up but I have seen it happen ;)
Right now its really cheap to get a CDRW drive, heck you can get a 40x12x40 Plextor for about 140 shipped. I bought one and it will burn a CD in right around 2 minutes :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
KyleS

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Yeah, CD-ROM's are really cheep, just repalce it, or you can get a DVD-ROM for about $20 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2handband