1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My CD burner keeps throwing up!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, I stuck my functioning Liteon 24x10x40x CDRW burner drive into a PC with an Abit BH6 (with the SS Bios update, latest one I could find), and no matter if it's primary slave or secondary master, it keep spitting out the CD tray. I put a CD in the tray, and hit the button to close the tray, the tray goes in, a second later, the drive spits out the tray. It does it repeatedly. Any ideas? Maybe the new burner drives don't like my old old motherboard?

This occurs before the operating system gets loaded up. And the operating system (W2K) does recognize the drive correctly being connected to the motherboard/system.

The drive works fine in my other PC, which has an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

40+ views and no one has any clue to the vomiting of my CD-RW burner? [​IMG]

3. DennisZ

DennisZ Agent

Patrick, I don't think that old motherboard supports CD_RWs.
    The Asus will, probably the best motherboards. Even tho W2K sees it doesn't mean the motherboard likes it.
    Hope this helps
    Denny[​IMG]

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Mabye you should pour some Robitussin on it [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Bad cabling maybe? Just a thought.

6. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

DennisZ: I have the exact same MB / PIII 750 and it works just fine with my CD, CD-RW, DVD, ... running W2K , NT4, ... It's a great MB.

As for the problem, I can only guess about a few things.

1. Check the BIOS setup screen where it lists the 4 IDE devices. Make sure they are all set to Auto.

2. Check the BIOS boot up sequence. See that the CD is not listed before the hard drive.

3. Is you BH6 a v1.0x or v1.1 ? Check the sticker on the side of the ISA slot connector. You may have to use a dentist mirror to see it. V1.0x MB's take the SS bios, v1.1's take a different one.

4. Try swaping the IDE cable ends between the connectors on the MB only. After that, change the boot up drive letter from C: to D: in the bios in order to boot from the original C: drive. Does it do the same thing ?

Dave

7. DennisZ

DennisZ Agent

Patrick, when I said the MB may not support it, what I meant to say was what Dave P. stated. There are times where I think but it doesn't come out in the typing.It was late.

Check the BIOS as Dave said. this would be a good place to start.

Sorry for the confusion

thanks Dave for pointing that out

Denny

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, it looks like a change in longitude helped because I popped in the offending Liteon CD burner into the PC with the Abit MB, and it acted normally, no vomiting. I am so relieved! I was able to set up the software installation so my dad can burn CD now. Thanks for all the pointers. I still don't know why things didn't work in Atlanta, but do in Mobile. [​IMG]