My CD and DVD Roms won't recognize CDs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Williams, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

This just came out of nowhere. I'm running XP and have a Toshiba DVD-ROM and a Philips CDRW. Two days ago they both stopped reading CD-ROMs, CDRs, and CDRWs. I have no idea why. The DVD-ROM will play DVDs still. I'm confused. Normally fixing a computer problem is easy, but this one is an unusual one.

Jeff

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I had the VERY same thing happen in XP with audio CD's. And yours is not the first post besides mine I have seen with this issue. I don't wanna seem paranoid...but this seems more than coincidental!

3. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

I figured out my problem after thinking a little. I remembered it started happening around the time I installed a program called Instant CD/DVD. So I uninstalled it and bam, it worked. So in this case, XP wasn't at fault. I think the problem arised from using the program to make a CD-RW like a floppy using the UDF format. I guess it somehow made XP always what a disc in that format. Well I uninstalled the program and now everything is good.

My lesson learned today, always use Nero. There is a reason why a lot of people have it. -----> It works.

Jeff