What's new

My CD and DVD Roms won't recognize CDs! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
This just came out of nowhere. I'm running XP and have a Toshiba DVD-ROM and a Philips CDRW. Two days ago they both stopped reading CD-ROMs, CDRs, and CDRWs. I have no idea why. The DVD-ROM will play DVDs still. I'm confused. Normally fixing a computer problem is easy, but this one is an unusual one.

Jeff

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I had the VERY same thing happen in XP with audio CD's. And yours is not the first post besides mine I have seen with this issue. I don't wanna seem paranoid...but this seems more than coincidental!

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I figured out my problem after thinking a little. I remembered it started happening around the time I installed a program called Instant CD/DVD. So I uninstalled it and bam, it worked. So in this case, XP wasn't at fault. I think the problem arised from using the program to make a CD-RW like a floppy using the UDF format. I guess it somehow made XP always what a disc in that format. Well I uninstalled the program and now everything is good.

My lesson learned today, always use Nero. There is a reason why a lot of people have it. -----> It works.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks