What's new

My Cat... (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I was so happy today - just picked up the Spiderman toon DVD, & was planning to pick up Resident Evil for the Gamecube later this evening.
But when I got home,my cat was crying out in pain...we took him to the vet, & we ended up putting him to sleep.
I am soooooooo bummed :frowning:
Calvin

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So sorry to hear that. I still get teary when recalling how we had to put our fuzzy family member of 18 years to sleep back in 1995. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. :frowning:

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Bongo was having problems with his urinary tract, & couldn't pee anymore. My best friend just went through this with his cat - he & his wife opted for the surgery to try and help.

Their cat was never the same - he only lived for about six months more,was in varying amounts of pain, and their vet costs totaled almost $2,000.

My fiance',knowing all this ,said no,she didn't want him to suffer. And that was that.

And it hurts really bad.....

Calvin

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ouch. A sad ending to a happy day. :angry: When you're ready, go shopping for a new kitten. It will never replace the friend you lost, but it will help heal the pain.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
It always blows when you lose a member of the family, pets give you so much but ask for little in return.
Nothing can replace him, but you can give an animal shelter cat another good home. :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
I love cats, and I hate losing one. I consider them a part of the family. I lost my cat Sylvester in grade 11 when he was mauled by a dog, never even got to say bye :frowning: That was a sad few weeks :frowning:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I had to take my cat to the vet to be put to sleep six years ago. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He was very sick with mouth cancer and liver disease. :frowning:
I feel your pain.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Sad now, but in the future you will have smiles as you recall Bongo's antics and quirks. We have had two cats put to sleep, and boy does it hurt. Eventually you will have many happy memories, but now is just so tough. Best wishes.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Calvin,

Sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a pet is hard. I get way to attached to animals. Hopefully once you get over things more you can find a new pet.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry to hear about Bongo, Calvin. :frowning:
Male cats in particular are, unfortunately, terribly susceptible to urinary tract problems. I would encourage all of you who live with kitties to talk to your vets about a diet that will at least minimize the risk.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My little buddy nearly lost his precious life back in 1997. He had been gnawing on and swallowing strings (from strands of carpeting attached to a long-worn-out scratching post. A piece of thread can do a serious number on a cat's urinary tract. But the doctor pulled Attila back from the brink.

Even still, Attila has ever since been required to stick with his doctor-supervised diet. The food he eats is normally that which is for cats who have experienced renal failure.

Attila was slow to rebound that first year--and he had some setbacks.

Afterward, he regained his strength and weight. Now he behaves like a cat half his age. Every evening, when I get home, he charges through the house like a madcat. He is so hilarious and adorable. And I love him way, way too much.

The problem with giving one's love to a cat so completely is that human and feline lifespans don't match very well. I hope the day comes when science is able to extend the average feline lifespan by at least a decade.

My most sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Bongo. Peace to you.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I feel for you, Calvin. Really sorry to hear it. I've had to put down 2 cats in the last 3 years. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you now, but I understand the pain you're feeling.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have been very lucky for years considering I currently have 1 dog (12). 1 cat (11) a new cat (12 months), and 4 horses (1 month to 9 yrs).

The ‘top dog’ and cat, are getting up there, we worry about this far too much.

My last pet which died, (other that my rehab bird that’s its own tramatic story) was 16 and died at home, I think this made it easier on me.

It took 3 days, he was in no pain, and I happened to be sitting holding him when he took the last breath. It seemed a gift to me, not just to ‘find’ him, but be present at the end as I had from almost the beginning when I had to hand feed him as a 2 wk old kitten every 2 hrs.

You never forget, you always remember, and to me, it’s worth every bit of the heartache for the richness they bring into our lives.

My condolences …

Cam S

Screenwriter
Awe, that's a sad story Mary. I really wish I could have been there for my cat Sylvester when he had to be put down, just to hold his paw and tlak to him while he went.
:frowning:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I've lost many cats during my life, but the one I have now is by far the most lovable cat ever. Dixie loves everyone all the time, and when the day comes for her to pass I and my wife will both be basket cases. I definitely feel your pain.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to say thanks to you who did reply to my post. That really helped me get though today.

Man,this day has been really hard. But my family did have many good times with Bongo, & it is those memories that I'll always have.

Calvin

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry for your loss. I have two cats myself and putting your furry freinds asleep is as tough as it gets. I recently had to put my cat, that I grew up with, asleep. My mother called me one moring and said she couldn't do it herself. So I got stuck doing it.

How old was Bongo? Was Bongo eating both wet and dry food? I've heard that if you only feed your cat dry food that urinary tract problems may result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks