What's new

My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes... (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
:frowning:

I've had Jazmin for just over 10 years. Recently, he (yes, female name, male cat, long story) started drinking more water and urinating more. I decided to take him to the vet for the first time since '97. I stopped taking him because he absolutely HATED needles. Plus he's an indoor cat, so I figured his chances of getting anything was small.

I give him plenty of attention, but the caring for part was what I liked. Leave some food & water all the time, and clean the litter box. Pretty easy. Now it's a whole new game. I must give the little guy 2 needles every day for the rest of his life. I have to monitor his urine for the first few weeks. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this. Many weekends I'd stay at my friends house who lives over an hour away. Those days are gone. No more sleeping in either... I have to wake up EVERYDAY at the same time to give him his shot.

What makes this worse is I'm EXTREMELY forgetful, and can be lazy :frowning: I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this...

Now I must go an make a contraption out of 2 litter boxes, so I can test his urine... wish me luck :frowning:

Mike D.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Mike,

While I can't speak from direct experience with kitty health issues, I think you'll find that you'll eventually get used to it. Shit happens to everyone from time to time, but they adapt.

I'm not saying it's going to be fun or that it won't be downright annoying sometimes, but think about it this way: There could have been something far more serious wrong with Jazmin. I know it's not the best news, but try to see the silver lining.

Sadly, many people wouldn't even make the effort and would probably try to give the kitty away or have him put down. You should be commended for seeing your commitment to the little guy through.

I know that if this happened to one of my kitties, I'd be there with the shots for them. And I think you will be too. You might be surprised how much less forgetful you become when there is something important at stake.

Finally, if you have a good friend that lives nearby, whom you trust, maybe teach them how to administer the shots so that you will have someone to do it so you can sneak away for a couple of days once in a while.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I went through something similar with a cat that was diabetic. Unfortunately he was older than yours and his kidneys had failed so I had to have him put down. :frowning:

One of the hardest things that I have ever done.

With that said, I'm sure that with proper care your cat can live a long and healthy life.:emoji_thumbsup:
Please do your best and try to hang in there.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Mike, don't worry, your cat will be fine! My cat, Sylvestor had diabetes, and we had to give him 2 shots a day, and then later 1 a day once he got a little better. He was great with needles. He would even wake us up in the morning so we could give him his needle, very cute. We had no problems at all while he had diabetes, and made sure to take him in for checkups every other month. He was sadly killed by a dog, and if not for that, I KNOW he would have lived out his normal life, as he was very healthy. So stick with the program for the needles, and your cat will love you more and be ever thankful!!!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
At least you can actually do something to your cat. When my tarantulas get sick, there's not much I can do, it's not like I can take it to a vet or have to go through injecting it twice a day with something. So, feel good that at least you can do something rather than wait and wonder.

Jay

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Mike, I feel bad for your poor cat and you, but as they say, it could've been much worse. I know that that doesn't help when you now have to care for your cat on a far greater level than you were used to, but the alternative of having Jazmin put down is probably just as unpalatable.

Seems a lot of feline diabetes is popping up lately, which is rather unfortunate. But my old cat, Jake, ended up contracting feline leukemia from some neighbourhood cats and we had to have him put down so he wouldn't suffer any more than he was.

I think given the alternatives, a couple needles a day won't be too bad.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
My male cat Scooter contracted diabetes many, many years ago. Same thing, we noticed that he would "camp" out at the water dish and pee more. After a few days of administering his insulin via a small needle, he didn't even flinch anymore. Try giving him a treat like soft food during medicine time. It won't take much. While he's gobbling a teaspoon of it up, get him in the baby fat behind his head with the insulin.

Scooter lived for another five years(15). He occasionally suffered the mild insulin reaction, but was pretty healthy for the most part. Good luck, it's just another chapter in your life. :)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Thanks all for the kind words.

I gave him his shot this morning with no problems at all. His medication for his urinary infection was another story. Luckily, that will last only 2 weeks.

My only concern is that I can't watch his reaction since I'm at work now. He received his 1st shot last night at the vet and had no ill reactions. What an improvement. He's back to his normal self. But, as I said, I'd like to keep an eye on him. I am having someone stop by my place to check on him.

I'm just going to have to get use to waking up early on weekends, and I may just take him along with me to my friends house. Not a big deal I guess.

I was worried it was something worse, so while I was relieved, I was still very concerned with the care he must now receive, but I slept on it and realize it's completely manageable with some sacrifices from me... which isn't asking for a lot considering it's his life in my hands now :)

Thanks again!

Mike D.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm just going to have to get use to waking up early on weekends...
Consider yourself lucky that you were able to sleep in for so long.

My kitties wake me up quite frequently when I'm late with their food. :laugh:

Hey, you can always just go back to bed again after the shot. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks