What's new

My cat is insane (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
You may want to check with your vet that the cat does not have a bladder infection. It may be doing this to say "OUCH!"

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I need ideas on how to keep a cat from clawing things you don't want them to rip up.
I use a water bottle (the misting type, not the kind you drink from). My cat used to love jumping on top of my snake's and gecko's cages. So I started waiting till she would jump on top and then squirt her with the water bottle. It broke her of it pretty quick.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I think personally that is has to do with their predatory instinct. I think they just occassionally like to just chase around the house.

My cat does this too, she always has and after 12 years, still is.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Cats also love being chased. My beloved Attila can't get enough of it. Likes for me to get on all fours and hobble after him. So there he goes, at a trot, tail high up, and enjoying all the attention.

But it's utterly charming and fascinating to watch Attila when he's in his predatory mode.

Mary: Sweet post.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
You lucky people, my cat usually just lies on his back, paws up in the air, eyes sometimes wide open, with the occasional spasm indicating that it is indeed still alive.;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of weird cat things, this happened to my fiancee (Stacey) the other day:

She accidently bought a couple cans of the "Senior" version of the cat's food accidently (our cat Monkey is about 2 yrs old). Keep in mind we are pretty low on $$. Monkey doesn't like the food. About half of it is still left from the morning. Then Monkey did her normal behavior when she wants food - she paws open the cupboard door where her food is, letting it bang shut, then opening it again, etc, a couple of times. Then she meows when you look at her. Well this time Stacey says, with exasperation in her voice, (basically)

"Monkey, I'm sorry I bought the wrong food. I don't have the time to get you different food right now. Please just eat the food you have and I will get you better food tonight, I promise!".

Monkey immediately walks back down the 3 steps to her food and starts eating it. Despite turning her nose up at it a few moments before. It was funny, it freaked Stacey out.
A mere human will never understand the mystery of the cat.

Sarah S

Second Unit
My husband once knew a cat that would get angry if his human cleaned his litter box. His favorite attack would be trying to leap on the person from the bookshelves. Otherwise, the cat was just like every other, random, orrdinary cat.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
My ‘non’ sapiens friends equate to the most (what- I’m tired) insert many choices (there) moments in my life. “A mere human will never understand the mystery of the cat” Great story! - those moments are unbelievable. My horse partner dreamed about an old show mare her father had sold when we were young, - repeatedly until we finally looked her up through AQHA records, We did this after my friend remarked; - “now in the dream she’s talking to me….this is getting ridiculous, she told me be careful of her hoofs and to bed the trailer with extra hay”. When we determined the current owner (listed as a California resident) and wrote inquiring about the mare. He replied 2 months later from an address in Texas (our state). He had just moved his whole breeding operation here. And the Mare she had recently foundered! (hoof problems). We purchased her last 2-year-old filly, and took the old mare back in the deal, to give her a well-deserved retirement. Her current owner was delighted to be ‘rid’ of her care, as he should not have bred her due to age that last time. She died 2-yrs later on the property we moved her to, where we took her last daughter back for training, - this was the breeders ranch where she had been foaled herself 27 years earlier.

Thanks Steve for the best laugh of the day “with the occasional spasm indicating that it is indeed still alive.” Mine has his possum modes also!

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I have the perfect mix of cats. I have 3 of them

Katie-the old one, an absolute angel
Shadow-when she actually moves(which is about 3 hours in the day, no joke) she is the craziest cat in the world
Mombo-everyone hates this cat, he bites and claws at everyone yet my mom loves him so what are you gonna do

Josh that cat looks cute as hell.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My cat is crazy, too. Crazy and mean -- she hates everyone but me. Not hate, but don't try to touch her. I always tell people when they come over: "Do not approach the cat. Do not touch the cat. If she tries to pass you anything through the glass, do not accept it."

Sometimes she races around after using the litterbox, but mainly the thing she does is dig, dig, dig. God! It's like Obsessive Compulsive Digging Disorder. Sometimes I'll just yell, "Susan, that's enough! What are you doing, digging to China?" Unless she's digging an escape tunnel to the outside...

She's obsessed with plastic grocery bags, too. Crinkle-crinkle-crinkle. She finds that sound frightening and fascinating. She'll poke them cautiously, pull them, and usually will eventually lay on them, if they're empty.

And she got about the biggest scare of her life from one. I had just come home from shopping and had an empty plastic grocery bag sitting on the couch. She was poking at it -- crinkle, crinkle. I was sitting next to her, eating a TV dinner, watching the tube, and I was not in the mood.

"Susan, no, no."

She looked at me, looked back down. Poke, crinkle crinkle.

"Susan."

She kept prodding the bag, and it was getting more and more on my nerves. Finally I reached over to grab it and she bolted, but when she did, one handle of the plastic bag got hooked around her neck, and it BALLOONED out behind her like a parachute -- she thought the bag was chasing her!

She raced around the room in circles, in a panic -- I'm surprised she didn't run up the wall and onto the ceiling -- all the while that paper bag floating behind her, CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE!!! I tried to get it off, but she was moving so fast that by the time I'd lean over to grab it she'd be already on the other side of the room! Finally she got lodged behind the TV and I was able to go lift if off her.

She squeezed out the other side and stared at me, back arched, her tail all bristled out, like "What the hell did you do that for?!" I think she thought I was the one chasing her.

I still get a good laugh about that. She must sense that, 'cause she's sitting in my lap right now and she started purring when I was writing the story.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Meet Moritz. He is 12 now and getting a little less active, but when he is in the mood he can steer up a lot of trouble, especially when he is outside. In summer he only enters our house for eating and when he is in the need for some cuddling. The rest of the time, the garden is his.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We call this Phenomenon of cats getting wild and looking crazed 'Having the wind in their tail'...

Its happened to all 5 of my parents cats and both of mine over the last 20 years, tho not necessarilly after using the box.

Pretty sure its just a way for domesticated cats to get a little exercise and explore their predatory nature.

And LT's Theory of Pets is absolutely first rate. If you havent heard King read this great short story before a live audience (the CD rocks) then you have missed a masterful storyteller at the top of his game. Check it out, even if you dont like most of King's stuff. Critics can scoff all they want, I havent found a more interesting and vibrant and creative writer alive in our generation...

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks