What's new

My cat is having surgery today (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I brought home Ginger, my male kitten at 5 mo. old. His Mom was an outdoor cat that got knocked up by a three-legged stray. (Great gene pool)

He acted very antisocial and would often drool a lot and stay secluded for days at a time. The first Vet told me he had Feline Cerebral Paulsy and put him on growth hormones. No luck.

The next Vet diagnosed a liver shunt. Poor little guy's liver isn't cleaning the toxins in his blood stream. I had him on I.V. fluids every other day, and oral medicine. The surgery is around $2000, two hours away, and studies on this in the past look extremely grim.

Anyway, I made the appt., and he's going under the knife in a couple of hours. They had to preform a bunch of tests yesterday, and it turns out he is a perfect candidate for the surgery. He's such a brave little guy. I feel bad for him having to stay up there for a few days and go through all of this.

Please wish him a full recovery. If everything goes well, it will increase his quality of life a thousand fold.

I did a bunch of research, and don't want to bore you with the details, but has anyone else experienced a risky surgery with a pet?

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
My cat, Mulder, ate a big piece of something (either eucalyptus from a flower display or the plastic part of a toy mouse) that became lodged in his intestine. They had to open him up and remove it. He did not eat for several days and to top that off his sutures ruptured and all his bodily waste gushed out. He developed peritonitis and was given a fifty - fifty chance of making it. Luckily, the doctor on hand developed the procedures for operating on soft tissues in animals (i.e. intestines, bladders, etc.). About $2000.00 later he is more frisky and pesters the crap out of us constantly. And we wouldn't have it any other way.
Matt

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Scott I wish nothing but the best for you and Ginger. Here's to a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I think just about any pet owner would consider their pet's surgery to be "risky" even if it's routine. A year ago one of my dog's had to have a knee ligament replaced. I know it's a common surgery for people, but I had no idea they even did it to animals. After much hand-wringing, she came through the surgery fine and now is back to normal. I hope things go as smoothly with your cat.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
UPDATE:

The surgeon called me, and everything went extremely routine. Ginger came out of it just fine. If he doesn't have any siezures in the next couple of days, he'll come home. The procedure is taxing on the Central Nervous System.

Thank you all very much for your caring thoughts and words.

I'm unable to post pictures, but I can describe:

Tiny little 5 lbs. Long orange hair with hints of white.
Copper eyes, and tufts of hair from all of his toes, and ears. He was born with a crook in his tail in two places as well. He's really adorable.

Thanks again!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
A hug, a slap on the back, and a big :emoji_thumbsup: .
Serenity-making news.
Please keep us apprised of Ginger's progress.

Frederick

Second Unit
As a fellow cat owner, that's fantastic news. Here's hoping Ginger will be home soon ...

Freddy C.

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
One of my cats "Sigma" was deemed hopeless and fated to die.
He was apathetic and did not want to be held, and after a day or so, I took him to the vet.
They Xrayed him to find fluid had filled his body cavity, squishing all of his internal organs.
They drained it, sent it off to be tested, and they couldn't figure out what it was.
They said they had seen it before (or something similar) and had never seen a cat survive whatever it was.
They even asked me "Since you have only had the cat for less than a year, can you take it back and get a refund?"
WOW.
My girlfriend started crying hysterically, and I felt like punching the guy.
Anyway, they said he probably only had a day or two, and I could take him home to let him pass on there in our company.
I asked time and again if there was ANYTHING we could do, or at least try. They FINALLY gave me some antibiotic liquid and pills, and I went home with Sigma, who looked a bit better by then, with the pressure removed.
I gave him the antibiotics, and within a week was back to his old self!
Now, two years later, he has an adopted sister (Omega) he gets to play with and a long, spoiled life ahead of him!
Lesson: NEVER GIVE UP.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Wow Scott, that is really a great story. You deserve a big pat on the back for hanging in there when the odds were so heavily stacked against you and your little buddy.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.