My buddy's kid used crayon on his Hitachi screen...how do we clean????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

We are about to watch Star Wars Episode II and notice yellow crayon on his screen (he has the same set as me- Hitachi Ultravision 50") No protective shield on it, though. What should we use to clean it? B.T.W., this is the exact reason I don't have any crayons in my house. Thx.

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Small kids + unprotected screen = disaster.
    NEVER have small kids around an unprotected screen. It draws them like moths to a street lamp. Tell him to put on the protector.
    OR
    He just might try this:
    Spray with multipurpose lubricating oil (dont let it drip on the floor). Then gently wipe, using a paper towel or clean white cloth. If mark is stubborn, sprinkle a little baking soda on a damp sponge and gently rub in a circular motion. If lubricants residue remains, dampen a sponge with a solution of one or two drops of mild dish-washing liquid to one cup water. Squeeze out sponge and gently rub in a circular motion. Rinse sponge; lightly moisten with water to go over area; dry with a clean cloth.
    This is courtesy of the ever-helpful Heloise.
    While not specifically for screens, he really has nothing to lose.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I just read Jason's tip and not sure about the solution choices HOWEVER DO NOT rub in a circular pattern if it is on the lenticular screen as you will damage it. ALWAYS AND ONLY rub (extremely lightly) in an up and down motion.

Best of luck

Gregg

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    The key here will be to find a fluid that will desolve or break down the crayon wax without damaging the screen and definately should not be abrasive (I would nix the baking soda). I would recomend "Goo-Gone". It is a kind of oily-citrus based non-solvent (ie wont "melt or eat" the plastic) but should sort of disolve the crayon. Also, like cleaning eye-glasses, I would use a soft cotton cloth and avoid paper products as the fibers could actually scratch the plastic too.