My brother almost got a home theater in a box!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jonathan Hayes, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jonathan Hayes

Forgive me if there's a better place for posting this, but I couldn't tell from the main forum page...

A few years ago, you guys gave me great advice for a low end home theater system. I ended up with a Panasonic widescreen TV, a Denon receiver, a Sony subwoofer and Home Theater Direct speakers, and have been very pleased with them.

My brother now wants to get something similar for his house, and I wondered what you guys would advise. He has a decent display unit, so he basically needs a receiver and speaker system, and a DVD player. He's English, and has a bunch of English DVDs, so he also needs a multi-region DVD player; he apparently has some kind of converter that converts the signal to NTSC, but I figure a multi-region DVD player which outputs an NTSC signal would be the easiest way to go.

The budget (sharp intake of breath): about $1000 to $1200.

Any suggestions? I realize half of you spend more than that on CD cleaning equipment, but any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. Jonathan Hayes

(Also, if this is the wrong forum for this question, please let me know where I should have posted it. Thanks!)

3. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

This is for a receiver, speakers, and DVD player?

There are a million possibilities. I just helped my Dad with a similar budget. I have JBL speakers so I can give a break down of how that might work.

EC35 Center- $140 on-line price
    2 pairs of JBL E30's- $280-online price
    Dayton Sub from Parts Express-$140 shipped- (if able you may be able to get the entry level SVS subwoofer)

This brings you up to $560.

Receivers (many options)

HK AVR-235 -$340 shipped, on-line price
    Pioneer 1014- $400 on-line price
    Panasonic SA-XR50-$240 on-line price

This brings you to $900 with the HK receiver and give or take for the others. You then have up to $300 for DVD player and connections.

IMO, I would spend %60-70 on speakers and the remaining for receiver and DVD player.