What's new

My Bro's Lookin For a Car, HTF Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My 19 yr-old brother is looking to buy a used car that's about 2-4 yrs old with low miles (~25k) and around $12-16k. He looked at Audi A4 1.8T's and BMW 3's.

Does anyone have any other car recommendations? He wants sporty (stick shift) and nice lookin. Are there model years to look out for on the above models? Would the audi 2.8 be better? Is a carfax report advisable?

thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Thye audi A4 1.8t would be a great car, and has some good upgrade potential with that engine, plus it still looks great after a few years. You also can't go wrong with a 3 series, maybe go for a early model M3, like a 95-96??

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Send him to Edmunds to find out how much such cars should cost.

Maybe he could find a 2-4 year old A4 or 3er with that mileage for that price, but barely. He'd have to find a car with absolutely no options. Better chance on getting the Audi cheaper, as they came out with a new model last year (B6 platform), which obsoleted the old model (B5 platform). 4 year old (1999 sedans) BMW's are still current model (E46). Might have better luck with 1999 BMW coupe, as those are previous generation (E36)

If he's serious about the used car thing, buy a month-to-month online subscription to Consumer Reports (and cancel after one month) to get reliability data from there.

Check out the following forums:

Audi

BMW

The forums will give information on known issues with the cars.

Carfax is always recommended.

Good luck.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
i did a thorough check at edmunds (always a great site) and looks like the Bimmer's are too much. I looked into 2000 and 2001 preludes and Lincoln LS too. I found that the 2001 1.8T received a 20hp boost but it's still missing about 4 cylinders ;). The A4 is looking best right now bc it's front wheel drive (maybe even quattro) and we live in snowy cleveland ohio. let's hear some more ideas!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I might have a '99 Prelude with 51,xxx miles on it in excellent condition for sale right about in that price range. Relatively new Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's, new OEM brakes, brand-spankin' new battery. Washed weekly, waxed every other month. Flawless interior. Automatic with sportstick. Wait a minute...why do I want to sell this car again???

Seriously, you're going to be very hard pressed to find a bimmer or audi with those requirements. Sounds like he wants somethign sporty. Try the Preludes, maybe a 240sx in great condition, many that's tough, if he wants something sport in that price range. Let me think about it.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The OTHER problem with the Audis, BMWs, and Saabs are the cost to repair. The insurance is also quite a bit higher because of the high cost of parts. If the insurance company sees a turbocharger on any of these then it goes up even more!

Seriously, he had better take a hard, long look at just how much money it takes to keep these on the road versus a Japanese or American car.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Unless you like turning corners, good gas mileage, and a higher probability of getting 200k out of it.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Don't forget the Audi (and VW's) 1.8T engine, although they 'only' have 180HP, the torque at 1900 rpm is 174 lb/ft.

Why not just get a brand spanking new 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T? Supposedly they no longer have coilpack and window regulator problem.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
You might want to also look at subaru WRX's

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX (27,000) I'd be willing to part with for $18k.

Its a 5 Speed, Manual
Turbocharge 4 cylinder, 230 HP
Silver, four door, All Wheel Drive
Plus some other factor upgrades

Everythings original, just like I bought it off the factory floor. Never Been modified or anything. Fully documented Oil changes and scheduled Maintenance every 3,000 miles form the delaer I bought the car from. Car has just been used to drive to and from work and a couple of 350 miles trips. It is in very good condition.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Bill beat me to it... I was about to suggest a WRX. This car is a blast to drive & maintenance/parts isn't too expensive. It isn't as refined as an Audi or BMW (in terms of road noise, etc.) but (IMO) it's more fun to drive. Subaru sells an Impreza WRX sport wagon if you need the trunk space.

Oops... I just saw that he's 19. The WRX is a lot of car for a 19 yr. old. Maybe one of the 2000 era (older body style) 2.5L Impreza RS's would be a better option (which still has plenty of power).

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Stay with a domestic car with a V8. Nothing else.
that's what i'm talkin about baby (you're talking to a cadillac owner and operator btw)

Let's talk about my brother. My brother is cool. He doesn't want a VW even thought it's the same thing as an Audi. It's not 'cool enough'...it's Audi or nothin at all. Even though he looks like a fast and furious cast member, the WRX is a little too stickers-oriented for him. If it were me, I'd pick up a 2001 or 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It's sporty, fast, roomy, American. An old Maxima is always a safe bet too. Thanks for all the replies.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend a 99.5+ A4 1.8T. should be available in the price range your brother is looking. For $500 he can add a ECU chip to boost the HP/torque to ~200/230. Contrary to what has been stated above, getting the 1.8T engine will not cause your insurance to spike just because it has a turbo. And I'd alos take issue with the 'VW is the same as an Audi' line, unless you'd also say that about toyota/lexus, nissan/infinity, honda/acura, etc. Same german engineering, better quality materials, better fit/finish.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
After pulling my hair out looking for another car in the same category as Chuck's bro I think an A4 really is the best choice at that pricepoint if you want great looks and luxury. I was leaning towards the 2.8 as it seems to be better performing than the 1.8T. Any reason to go for the turbo other than price?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
yep!

1. 1.8T guzzles almost no gas. For the entire 55 litre tank, I can get at least 500km (if I push my car and AC on) to about 600km (if I drive sanely and use AC only half of the time).

2. 1.8T engine weight is lighter, so you'll need less power to obtain the same perceived power as opposed to larger engine.

3. Cheaper insurance.

4. Low-end torque that will make you go "hmmm" (in a good way). Perfect for city driving.

5. And if you're a "ricer", you can add BOV to add the "pshhh" sound when you change the gear :D (1.8T comes with DV, not BOV, thus won't make the "pshhh" sound)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
An inline 4 having more low end than a 6 cylinder? I think the only thing going for the 1.8T is price and gas mileage. Good to hear there's not a big difference.. it's just I've always preferred V6's over 4-cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks