My Bro's Lookin For a Car, HTF Help Needed

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

My 19 yr-old brother is looking to buy a used car that's about 2-4 yrs old with low miles (~25k) and around $12-16k. He looked at Audi A4 1.8T's and BMW 3's.

Does anyone have any other car recommendations? He wants sporty (stick shift) and nice lookin. Are there model years to look out for on the above models? Would the audi 2.8 be better? Is a carfax report advisable?

thanks for everyone's help in advance.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Thye audi A4 1.8t would be a great car, and has some good upgrade potential with that engine, plus it still looks great after a few years. You also can't go wrong with a 3 series, maybe go for a early model M3, like a 95-96??

3. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

Send him to Edmunds to find out how much such cars should cost.

Maybe he could find a 2-4 year old A4 or 3er with that mileage for that price, but barely. He'd have to find a car with absolutely no options. Better chance on getting the Audi cheaper, as they came out with a new model last year (B6 platform), which obsoleted the old model (B5 platform). 4 year old (1999 sedans) BMW's are still current model (E46). Might have better luck with 1999 BMW coupe, as those are previous generation (E36)

If he's serious about the used car thing, buy a month-to-month online subscription to Consumer Reports (and cancel after one month) to get reliability data from there.

Check out the following forums:

Audi

BMW

The forums will give information on known issues with the cars.

Carfax is always recommended.

Good luck.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm tagging along, I have 13-14k to spend and am looking for the same [​IMG]

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

i did a thorough check at edmunds (always a great site) and looks like the Bimmer's are too much. I looked into 2000 and 2001 preludes and Lincoln LS too. I found that the 2001 1.8T received a 20hp boost but it's still missing about 4 cylinders [​IMG]. The A4 is looking best right now bc it's front wheel drive (maybe even quattro) and we live in snowy cleveland ohio. let's hear some more ideas!

6. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I might have a '99 Prelude with 51,xxx miles on it in excellent condition for sale right about in that price range. Relatively new Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's, new OEM brakes, brand-spankin' new battery. Washed weekly, waxed every other month. Flawless interior. Automatic with sportstick. Wait a minute...why do I want to sell this car again???

Seriously, you're going to be very hard pressed to find a bimmer or audi with those requirements. Sounds like he wants somethign sporty. Try the Preludes, maybe a 240sx in great condition, many that's tough, if he wants something sport in that price range. Let me think about it.

8. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The OTHER problem with the Audis, BMWs, and Saabs are the cost to repair. The insurance is also quite a bit higher because of the high cost of parts. If the insurance company sees a turbocharger on any of these then it goes up even more!

Seriously, he had better take a hard, long look at just how much money it takes to keep these on the road versus a Japanese or American car.

9. M_a_r_k^NE

M_a_r_k^NE Agent

Stay with a domestic car with a V8. Nothing else.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Unless you like turning corners, good gas mileage, and a higher probability of getting 200k out of it.

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Don't forget the Audi (and VW's) 1.8T engine, although they 'only' have 180HP, the torque at 1900 rpm is 174 lb/ft.

Why not just get a brand spanking new 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T? Supposedly they no longer have coilpack and window regulator problem.

12. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

You might want to also look at subaru WRX's

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX (27,000) I'd be willing to part with for $18k.

Its a 5 Speed, Manual
    Turbocharge 4 cylinder, 230 HP
    Silver, four door, All Wheel Drive
    Plus some other factor upgrades

Everythings original, just like I bought it off the factory floor. Never Been modified or anything. Fully documented Oil changes and scheduled Maintenance every 3,000 miles form the delaer I bought the car from. Car has just been used to drive to and from work and a couple of 350 miles trips. It is in very good condition.

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Bill beat me to it... I was about to suggest a WRX. This car is a blast to drive & maintenance/parts isn't too expensive. It isn't as refined as an Audi or BMW (in terms of road noise, etc.) but (IMO) it's more fun to drive. Subaru sells an Impreza WRX sport wagon if you need the trunk space.

Oops... I just saw that he's 19. The WRX is a lot of car for a 19 yr. old. Maybe one of the 2000 era (older body style) 2.5L Impreza RS's would be a better option (which still has plenty of power).

14. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Jetta, or Gti if he can go a bit smaller...

Maxima...

15. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Damn I was going to offer my blue 2002 WRX for 17k to him and someone beat me to it.

17. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

I'd recommend a 99.5+ A4 1.8T. should be available in the price range your brother is looking. For $500 he can add a ECU chip to boost the HP/torque to ~200/230. Contrary to what has been stated above, getting the 1.8T engine will not cause your insurance to spike just because it has a turbo. And I'd alos take issue with the 'VW is the same as an Audi' line, unless you'd also say that about toyota/lexus, nissan/infinity, honda/acura, etc. Same german engineering, better quality materials, better fit/finish.

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

After pulling my hair out looking for another car in the same category as Chuck's bro I think an A4 really is the best choice at that pricepoint if you want great looks and luxury. I was leaning towards the 2.8 as it seems to be better performing than the 1.8T. Any reason to go for the turbo other than price?

19. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

yep!

1. 1.8T guzzles almost no gas. For the entire 55 litre tank, I can get at least 500km (if I push my car and AC on) to about 600km (if I drive sanely and use AC only half of the time).

2. 1.8T engine weight is lighter, so you'll need less power to obtain the same perceived power as opposed to larger engine.

3. Cheaper insurance.

4. Low-end torque that will make you go "hmmm" (in a good way). Perfect for city driving.

5. And if you're a "ricer", you can add BOV to add the "pshhh" sound when you change the gear [​IMG] (1.8T comes with DV, not BOV, thus won't make the "pshhh" sound)

20. Scott L

Scott L Producer

An inline 4 having more low end than a 6 cylinder? I think the only thing going for the 1.8T is price and gas mileage. Good to hear there's not a big difference.. it's just I've always preferred V6's over 4-cylinders.