My boss's Wega KV-36FS13 has a problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

He had me come over to set up his brand new TV and DVD player, and when we powered it up, we noticed each corner had varying degrees of discoloration - like when you put a magnet next to the tube. Only no magnets, and all 4 corners. Any ideas? He's pretty depressed about it, and this could make me look really good if I can help him with it. [​IMG]

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

are the speakers shielded?

3. JaimelM

JaimelM Agent

This problem can easily be fix
    by simply moving the set to the other
    side of the room.

4. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Rob, what speakers? The ones on the TV? Because thats all he has, and I sure hope that isn't the problem. That would be pretty incredible. But its just that kind of effect, like a big magnet. I thought it might just have a burn-in period before it goes away or something.
    Jamiel, if it were me, that would be a solution. But my boss just had this $120k addition put on his house and the TV had a custom wall rack built for it in the only corner it will ever go. Moving it just isn't an option. But if you tell me what you think its near that causing the problem, I would look into that.
    Either way, thank you both.
    Also, I just assumed the TV could accept 480P, but when I put the DVD player in progressive mode, the image was scrambled - does it not support progressive, or do I have to set it in the TV somewhere?

5. Shawn P

Shawn P Auditioning

I just got the same TV a couple of weeks ago. I'm noticing the discoloration but only when the screen is black- if that makes sense. When I'm watching a movie I don't notice it much so I'm not worried about it for now. I'll keep a close eye on it, if it gets worse there's always the warranty.
    The only model that does 480p is the XBR as far as I know.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Timon,
    Moving the set may help but it is unlikely. I went through 2 of these before I quit and they all had disclorations to varying degrees (along with geometry/convergence problems). These are color purity problems that are inherent in the set design and the sony "fix" of facing them north-south (or east-west, I can't remember)is often of little use. The color purity, I believe, can be fixed in the back of the set by a service tech, at least sometimes. I would have a sony tech come look at it and see what they think, though they are likely to tell you it is within "factory spec". I hope it works out.