What's new

My Bloody Valentine Special Edition Coming From Lionsgate, But... (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Well, that's all really well and good that the film's been restored and all that, but since the trailer isn't included, I'm skipping this release until they do it right.

JUST KIDDING folks! Can't wait for this release!!! It now sounds for sure that it will be everything the fans have wanted for over 25 years.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

And here's the official press release. I've bolded a couple items at the bottom.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE: SPECIAL EDITION

Street Date: 1/13/09
Order Date: 12/17/08
DVD SRP: $19.98

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The cult classic horror film My Bloody Valentine gets special treatment when it returns to DVD from Lionsgate. A terrifying tale about a small town that faces horrifying consequences for holding a holiday dance on the anniversary of deadly tragedy, My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition features all-new bonus features including never-before-seen lost footage, a featurette examining the back history of the making of the film and the Ultimate Slasher interactive guide that allows the user to delve into the evolution of the slasher film/horror genre. The DVD will be available on January 13, 2009, coinciding with Lionsgate’s theatrical 3-D remake of the film arriving in theaters January 16, 2009. My Bloody Valentine 3-D, stars Jaime King (upcoming The Spirit, Sin City), Jensen Ackles (TV’s “Supernatural”) and Kerr Smith (Final Destination, TV’s “Dawson’s Creek”) and is directed by Patrick Lussier.

On Valentine’s Day 20 years before, an explosion of methane gas took the lives of a group of coal miners working in the Hanniger Mine near the small town of Valentine Bluffs. The accident occurred because supervisors left their posts to attend the annual Valentine’s Day dance. A year later, Harry Warden, the only survivor of the accident, retaliated by killing the two supervisors and leaving a terrifying warning never to hold another Valentine’s Day dance. After two decades have passed, despite warnings, a group of young adults start preparations for another dance. When a blood-soaked heart arrives at the police station, accompanied by an ominous message, the dance is canceled. However, a Valentine party is held in its place at the coal mine and it isn’t long before people begin dying violently. It appears Warden has returned to punish those who did not heed his warning.

*DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
Never-before-seen lost footage
A “making-of” featurette
Ultimate Slasher Interactive Guide
*Subject to change

CAST
Paul KelmanBlack Roses, Gas, TV’s “Street Legal”
Lori Hallier TV’s “Sticks and Stones,” Bull, Heartstopper, TV’s “Black Widower”
Neil Affleck Wild Thing, Cross Country, Dirty Tricks, Visiting Hours
Carl Marotte Skinwalkers, TV’s “Mind Over Murder,” TV’s “Ice Bound”
Helene Udy Witches of the Caribbean, 12 FL OZ, If Tomorrow Comes

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 1981
Title Copyright: © 1981 The Secret Film Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Special Edition
Rating: R
Genre: Horror
Closed Captioned: English Closed Captioned
Subtitles: English and Spanish
Format: Widescreen
Feature Running Time: 90 minutes
DVD Audio Status: 5.1 Dolby Digital

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
So the big question is whether Kevin Shields and legendary shoegaze band My Bloody Valentine will pick up copies of the Special Edition or stick with their standard editions.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Interesting that the band's long awaited reunion tour happened in the same year as the uncut DVD.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Is this a great time to be a horror fan or what? I'm not talking about all the garbage that passes for horror today, like all those Anchor Bay DTV titles and Sony's syrupy tween thrillers and remakes. I'm talking about stuff like MBV and Friday the 13th. We have reached a point where studios are actually restoring slasher flicks, as if they were Godfathers or Casablancas. Its incredible! I hope this economy thing doesn't ruin it for us cause I need this stuff to keep coming. How about Mortuary, The Final Terror, Cathy's Curse, The Stepfather, Death Ship, Night of the Creeps, Rituals, Neon City, Damnation Alley, etc. Bring it ON!!!

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Wow, great list, Luis! I would love to get my grubby little hands on those!

I'm willing to bet we'll be seeing The Stepfather soon ... Screen Gems has a remake in production.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I forgot Blood Beach and The Boogens. Its so stupid-it takes a remake for the original to get any consideration for an upgrade regardless of how well the remake does at the box office. I'm not crazy about remakes as are most of you but if thats what it takes to shine a spotlight on the original them I'm all for it. Hey Sony: can u re-do The Final Terror so we can get the original on DVD. You can cast rappers and make it a comedy if you like

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Is there a good guide out there anywhere on the Internet for Slasher movies on DVD? I found the Legacy of Blood book, but I wanted something kept up to date on the internet, with info on what's cut/uncut, presented in proper aspect ratio, anamorphic, ratings of the movies, etc. I found retroslashers.net, but that seemed a little out of date, and not very comprehensive.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I found a copy of My Bloody Valentine out early in NYC. I couldn't grab it fast enough and it was the only one! Anybody wanna know anything about it?:P

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

You lucky thing!
Go on, spoil us with everything we want to know - total running time including the uncut bits, how seamless they are integrated and their over all quality.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Those uncut pictures are exciting. I really cannot wait to get this disc! A huge thank you to Lionsgate for this release ... I NEVER thought it would happen.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The first thing I checked was the running time-it was just over 93 minutes. The added bits are just that-bits; and they have a tacked-on feel to them. Some of the added footage is scratchy. Another interesting thing is it seems Paramount partnered with Lionsgate to re-release this. In other words, this wasn't a situation where Lionsgate outright bought the film and suddenly now they own it, which is what I thought the case would be. Overall I would say this is a far better DVD of the film than was previously available.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Luis, I don't know the film as well as you but there are more added things than just gore, right? I don't know the film well enough to pick it out but your comments on the quality rights true for some other stuff and not just the gore.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Michael I haven't had the chance to pick through the disc with a fine tooth comb as I would've liked to but seeing as the uncut version is only 3 minutes longer my guess is that what we're dealing with here is just bits and pieces of footage, or trims that were simply just "put in". Even though they used seamless branching the added bits still feel abrupt and not all of the footage is in the best shape.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah I was meaning more like minor dialogue being added back into the scene. Also, looking at the IMDB cut scenes, it appears slightly different cuts than what was reported there (although whoever posted that had no way of knowing what was ever cut in the first place). It seems to me those who don't know the film overly well probably wouldn't pick out the new footage if it weren't for the quality issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks