My bike ride today -report..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    hooohooo, just going out for a morning spin, thought I'd take out the Seven for spin.... I stick the GPS unit on the handlebar cause I want to get an elevation profile of my 30 mile ride and I wanted to stop by the cool bike shop where I got the Seven and hang with the other bike freaks and pick up a masterlink for my commuter mountain bike and a Shimano BB tool cause I don't have one. so off I go, fully dressed for the fairly cool morning (27°F) and prepare for the wind... About 1.5 miles into the ride, before I hit the real hilly section.. POP.. sping.. zoom... what the hell was that??? Notice rear tire going flat. Damm, pull off the side of the road and notice that I popped a spoke and now the rear wheel is really out of true. Guess that's what you get when you break a 24 spoked wheel! Considered riding on but since I was going to be doing my hilly route, I didn't want to mess up the wheel more than I would than riding back to home. Anyway, so I return to my home (with the rear brake not closed so the rim wouldn't rub) and decide that I'm not going to resort to car so I strap the bad wheel on my back with a bungie cord and continue on my way with my commuter bike. heehee, so I look like a freak with a rear wheel strapped to my back, kind of like those trucks with the spare tire on a hitch!!

Anyway, stop and hang with the boys at Town Cycle and check out the new Seven Duo dualie. Sweet, although I would be afraid to ride something that!! Anyway, after a stop at the bank and a bagel shop on the way back....

D'oh! Seems like shimano uses a different size tool than say Park, thought the BB spline tool would fit my chain whip but nope, they make it slightly larger so off I go to Home Depot to pick up a 32mm 1/2" drive socket! Couldn't these people design a tool to use the same sockets, as there are spline tools for a cassette and most cartridge-type BBs.. But nope, and alot of other companies need their own special BB tool, such as Phil Woods.... D'oh!

Anyway, another nice day in the 'burbs.

P.S. I now want to learn Italian and go join the Cinzano cycling team after watching "Breaking Away" on DVD last night... HAHAHA...

I like the scene where he's drafting behind this big rig going 60mph and he's in the small ring!

Jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The Dead Bird ride of today...

On this morning's ride to go grocery shopping, I saw two dead canadian geese in the middle of the road.. Apparently, these two weren't the fast ones!!! Its strange to see birds as roadkill since they shouldn't be in the middle of the road in the first place. Strange though, all feathers and blood.

In any case, I saw my first MiniCooper yesterday coming home from my ride... Neat car, they aren't as small as they look on a picture but they still look very throwable.

Jay