My big first jump into HT - your thoughts/opinions wanted/welcomed

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Michael*Taylor, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Michael*Taylor

Michael*Taylor Auditioning

First off, I must say this is a fantastic forum and has helped me immensely in taking my first steps into the home theater world. Upon recomendation of a friend, I found this forum about a month ago, and it now is providing me countless of hours of reading and research, so a big thanks to whoever came up with htf.com [​IMG]

Background: My wife and I watch a ton of DVD's (have a couple hundred to date), and watch cable t.v. sparingly (have the bare basic package)

Until about a month ago I'd never heard anything truly amazing from a home theater setup. That is until I went to Tweeter's and heard a top end Martin logan/B&K setup, i was in heaven!!

Through much research and on a limited budget, I've tried my darndest to purchase the first steps in what I hope is my ideal 5.1 Home theater setup.

Here is what I am initially planning to buy, and would love your input and thoughts on my choices.

Television:

-Sony 46" Widescreen(model: kp46wt500, price: $1400)

this I have actually purchased and am thoroughly impressed with, i'm still in the midst of fine tuning, but am very pleased w/ the results even prior to fine tuning.

Pre/Pro & Amp:

With much research and help from a couple of internet friends, I went with:

-Lexicon DC-1 (v4.0 price: $750) and

-B&K AV5000 Series II Amp ($450)

I've heard rave things about both, and while the B&K amp is dated, I've heard that amps are one of the best components to get the longest life out of, so that was the clincher. And for the price, the lexicon seemed to stand out.

Edit: I had originally thought of going just the receiver route. I have the option of picking up a Denon AVR-4802 for about the same price as the B&K/lexicon setup. Is this componet setup better than going the receiver route as far as the sound quality as concerned?

Speakers:

-Starting off with a pair of martin logan scenarios($1100)

Hearing electrostatic speakers for the first time made my knees weak. It was love at first sound. They must be mine, oh yes, they will be mine!

DVD Player:

-Denon DVD1600($250)

It was neck and neck between this and the panasonic RP91, but in the end I felt they gave very identical PQ but the DVD1600 came at a better price.

All together total with cables/wiring: roughly $4500

As of now I feel the scenario's will be sufficient for my listening needs until I an afford to expand. My next additions would be an accompanying M/L cinema for the center, followed by a depth for the sub, and a pair of scripts to round out the 5.1 system.

As i said initially this is my first step into the bigger world of home theater. I'm sure I've made a few mistakes and could stand to come away with a better setup, and this is where your input/opinions will be so valuable to me.

My biggest concern is whether the B&K amp will be sufficient enough to power the Martin Logan scenario's.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful insight that I hope is to follow [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Lex/B&K/1600 sound like good choices to me. I can't tell you personally if the B&K is enough power for the Scenarios.

Sounds like a nice setup. [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael, that's a very ambitious first system. Thank you for joining HTF. Welcome. JB

4. Michael*Taylor

Hey John, i happened to catch your post and you made an excellent suggestion.

Being relatively new to the HT world I honestly did not know how much of an impact different wiring/cables had on the audio/video quality. Again I owe much thanks to this board for enlightening me on these issues.

One of my other big misconceptions was with Monster wiring. Seeing how they're being pushed in all the dealers/stores I've been to, I was led to believe that this truly was the creme de la creme. However I've gained an understanding now that they are the Bose of wiring/cables, so I'll be happy to steer away from them.

Based on reviews and comments I decided to purchase my a/v wiring/cables through www.catcables.com for relatively the same price as Monsters high end series, I'm getting better quality and craftsmanship, and that's what matters most.

To Jack, thanks for having me! It took me a couple times to get approved, but I eventually got an account here [​IMG]

I'll definitely be posting reviews and keeping somewhat of a diary of my setup and post updates as the upgrade itch gets the better of me.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] I removed the part about wire and interconnects because it did not seem to be totally relevent after the fact, since you had not mentioned it. It IS a worth-while piece of the puzzle to consider in a system of this level though.

I don't have a problem with Monster either, I am using various Monster stuff in my system. When I find them on sale, or shop around for what I consider a decent price, I don't mind. They are good, not great, and a bit overpriced, comparatively, for what you get.

Along with Catcables, there are also www.bettercables.com, and I am also a fan of www.audioquest.com

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

How do Martin Logan's compare to Paradigms? Specifically the popular Monitor 7s and the Studio line.

7. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I agree with Jack nice first system and welcome to the HTF.

8. Michael*Taylor

Update!

Well after much research and budgeting.. everything but the speakers are here.

I changed the setup a little bit,

I had bought the sony 46" widescreen HDTV RPTV a week ago,

I now have a Lexicon MC-1(instead of the DC-1) with a B&K AV5000 Series II amp.

Instead of the Denon DVD-1600(couldn't find it, was out of stock everywhere) I went to sharper image and bought a Panasonic XP30(great deal btw if you use the $50 off coupon that's floating out there).

And now all I'm waiting on are my Martin Logan scenario's.

Pictures, reviews and comments to follow when they arrive [​IMG]