My Big Fat Greek Wedding in Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I am wondering if anyone has heard if this movie will be released in Widescreen?

I loved it and want to pre-order it but I will not buy it if it is not widescreen. So far I nobody has released any specs about the DVD.

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Both 16:9 widescreen and 4:3 fullscreen versions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 soundtracks. Extras include commentary by Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, and Ed Zwick along with deleted scenes & trailers. Street date is 2/11/03 and the MSRP is $27.99(U.S.).

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Thanks for the information...

Will it contain both versions on the same DVD or is it 2 seperate releases? DVDEmpire does not list any specs so far.

Thanks
    Chris

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Both on one disk. Probably a flipper, although this movie is only 96 minutes, so maybe they are just going to fit both versions on one side.
    Interestingly, Amazon lists this as a Warner release in keep case. If so, [​IMG]

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Yes, this will be released with both anamorphic widescreen and P&S versions on one disc. I hope it's not a flipper, though. But, it will be good for converting people to wide; nothing like watching people's suprise as you show them the scene in widescreen and then in P&S and they realize just how darn much picture they're actulally missing if they watch the 4:3 version.

The only extra I've heard of is thr audio commentary. If this thread is correct about deleted scenes and trailers, all the better. I'm still suprised it isn't getting a full-fledged special edition, though. I mean, it's the biggest independant hit of all time, for crying out loud! Maybe sooner or later....

Suprised there's not at least a preview/ad for the TV show, though.

6. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I am so looking forward to the release of this DVD in OAR [​IMG]. My wife and I both loved it in the theater. I'm so there on 2-11-03, I've had my calendar marked for weeks.[​IMG]

7. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Canadians should note that they are getting separate full screen and widescreen versions, with the same extras as the U.S.

8. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Rob,

Are you sure about the difference in the Canadian version? DVDSoon (a Canadian website) lists the DVD as having both Widescreen and Pan-and-Scan.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Hmmm, the Canadian online place I usually buy DVD's also lists separate versions, with the WS being more expensive, and just expensive PERIOD! Noticeably more expensive than any regular issue DVD costs around here...

Edit: a weird thing about the timing of this DVD release is that the movie is STILL playing in some first-run theatres in the Toronto area, and apparently some in New York, so I would guess also in other areas...

10. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I can assure you my information is accurate.