My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 (2023)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3

Genre: Romance, Drama, Comedy

Director: Nia Vardalos

Cast: Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, Elena Kampouris, Lainie Kazan, Andrea Martin, Maria Vacratsis, Louis Mandylor, Joey Fatone, Gia Carides, Elias Kacavas

Plot: The plot is currently under wraps.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ll give this credit for keeping the surviving cast members from the first film involved (Kazan, Martin). Wouldn’t expect a lot though.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe 3rd time will be the charm? ;)

I love the first movie. But they should have stopped there.

To me, the second one was watchable but did nothing creatively to justify its existence. I've completely forgotten about it since seeing it theatrically.

But I'll probably see this one once.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved the first one too and thought the second was fun. But the TV show?? That was horrendous.

I’ll see this one

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought it was a rather bizarre choice to shoehorn a wedding into the second movie. It could have been My Big Fat Greek (insert some other event here) and people would understand what the franchise was. But going with the wedding again just felt kind of repetitive. Because the third one is being called Greek Wedding 3, I assume there will be another wedding. But that didn't have to be the central event of every single movie in this franchise and it might have been more creative to do something else.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I certainly liked the 1st movie -- not sure I'd actually say I loved it -- and found it quite rewatchable... but yeah, 2nd one was barely watchable and certainly very forgettable.

In any case, they're not really the kind of movies that compel me to go to a theater to see... although the trailer for this 3rd one looks like it could maybe deserve a bigger screen than the 1st two... but still, I suspect my FP setup should be plenty big enough for it, so likely just gonna wait for streaming -- definitely not blindbuying this after #2... unless perhaps it gets tons of surprisingly rave reviews...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't really have a strong reaction to the trailer one way or the other.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I thought the first one was fine/OK... a typical "rom-com" story with a clash-of-cultures through-line.

Never saw the 2nd one due to the poor reviews.

This 3rd film's trailer does showcase something new - in that they travel to Greece. So I'm sure there is going to be some nice scenery, and a continuation of the clash of cultures theme. Hopefully the change of setting helps!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Pretty much the same as Joe, above. Saw the first and though it was OK though I never really understood its massive popularity. Never saw the second based on the reviews and lack of interest after the first. Not sure what to make of the fact they've made another one.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How much one enjoys/likes it probably depends a lot on how much one enjoys/likes the kinds of antics, identifies w/ the culture clashes (and related issues), etc me thinks... not unlike say the more recent Crazy Rich Asians (although the latter definitely relies a lot less on the comedy aspect)...

_Man_

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
image002.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm really not afraid of going to different kinds of movies...even movies I have no real interest in (based on trailers) because something good might come out of them.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 isn't one of those movies. Full disclosure: I laughed a lot. Not because the movie is smart and funny; rather, because it is so stupid almost from moment one, I couldn't help myself.

Something else to note: our screening started with Nia Vardalos introducing the movie and providing an honest-to-goodness recap of the first two movies. This was my first real clue the third entry was not interested in doing any of the "heavy" storytelling lifting it needed to do. Most movies would try to find a way to catch the audience up in the first few minutes, but not this one.

And this issue continues throughout the rather short running time. If the actual plot (the family goes to Greece for a supposed reunion and National Lampoon's Vacation style "hilarity" ensues) doesn't catch your attention, maybe the "romance" between two side characters will...or the family revelation over dinner...or a problem with nationalities...or a "madcap" search for old friends...or finding the oldest tree in the village...or the resurrection of an abandoned village...or another of the side plots which doesn't get any room to breathe and be believable.

At one point, I told myself this would actually be a funny and good limited streaming series: 10 episodes and everyone can have their moment and each story feels natural. As a film, it's racing to the ending from the minute it starts. (We may have been the youngest people in our screening...I'm 44, my husband is 40.)

I won't be revisiting this movie-ever. But my husband, who is not a person who cries over movies, did cry at the end. So apparently what was happening on screen meant something to him. I'm glad it did make that connection with him on an emotional level. It didn't for me, and that's okay.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Gonna be very interested to see box office for this one.

When I reviewed "Wedding 2", I predicted they'd not make "Wedding 3" because the $$$ plummeted between the 1st and 2nd movies.

$369m for 1st, $91m for 2nd - not good when sequel only makes around 24% of the 1st!

That said, "2" was inexpensive enough that it made a profit.

I think its biggest problem is that it took 14 years between movies. Not gonna say audiences forgot about the 1st in that span, but geez, that's an awfully long time to wait.

Of course, Vardalos attempted a TV series right after 1st movie but it died quickly. Maybe that's why they thought a 2nd movie was a non-starter: if the TV show couldn't get enough of an audience to run longer than 7 episodes, why finance a 2nd film?

Would be very curious to know why they finally decided to do a 3rd movie after 7 years.

I can't imagine it's gonna make real $$$.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
At one point, I told myself this would actually be a funny and good limited streaming series: 10 episodes and everyone can have their moment and each story feels natural.
They already did an utterly unsuccessful TV show based on My Big Fat Greek Wedding right after the first movie exploded. It was called My Big Fat Greek Life and was cancelled after seven episodes. I don't think there's any chance they considered doing that again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
They already did an utterly unsuccessful TV show based on My Big Fat Greek Wedding right after the first movie exploded. It was called My Big Fat Greek Life and was cancelled after seven episodes. I don't think there's any chance they considered doing that again.

Interesting thing is that if Wiki is right, the TV show actually did pretty well right out of the gate but suffered a pretty severe drop after the premiere episode.

Premiere got nearly 23 million viewers but that fell to about 10 million after a few episodes.

Still, that wasn't terrible circa 2003.

Seems like there must've been something else at work with the cancellation - especially given how quickly the axe fell.

7 episodes and that's it even though ratings weren't terrible? Doesn't make a ton of sense on the surface.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks