My Big Fat Greek Life started tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Just sat through this. A lot different from the movie. Most of the comedy was forced, lots of overacting (reacting), but I suppose that's okay because it's supposed to be a comedy.

They changed some of the scenario a bit. Nia (not Tula) and her husband return from their honeymoon to find that her father has purchased them a house (instead of giving it to them at the wedding.) Also, we discover that the house is located across the street from the restaurant.

Ian, the husband, is really resistant to the family's intrusion on their new life, as opposed to the movie Ian, who just went with the flow because it was part of the package of falling in love with Tula.

It was nice to see almost the entire cast from the movie in the show, except for Ian....

Maybe next week's show will feel a bit fresher.

2. Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I watched 10 minutes and felt that it was just another below average sitcom.

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

MAN THIS WAS BAD. yes, the tv husband is a completely different personality than the movie counterpart. and there are differences to storyline. all that could easily be forgiven had the show been even remotely enjoyable.

i've had low expectations before, but this experience was painful. i must say, the cast as a whole is still charming, which makes the crappy show even worse to watch, because it's like watching your own friends in a really bad show and you're embarrased for them. it was bad from the first 30 seconds, and it never got better.

4. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

You know what made this show worse than the movie......those STUPID Laugh tracks. It's supposed to let the viewer know what's funny, but too often, sitcoms have them every few seconds for lines that are not even funny. I really think that the show would have been better without the laugh tracks. The Simpsons seems so different b/c they don't have them and prove that you don't need them to be funny.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I had low expectations, but I found it pretty enjoyable.

It doesn't have much in common with the movie except for some character traits, and it's of course much more "sitcommy", but that's OK. They are fun and entertaining characters (over-)played by good actors, so that made it bearable even though the writing wasn't all that good.

I'll tune in again.

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

We watched a little of the show during commercial breaks in Joe Millionare.

I for one was not impressed. Just the few minutes we watched, the laugh track was certainly the first thing that told me the show is not going to work.

The acting was very forced and not natural.

Maybe if the show was filmed similar to a sitcom like Malcom in the Middle, that is not in front of a studio audience, it may have a better chance of survial.

But i think everyone here who is an avid TV watcher gets that gut feeling right away about a show, the show will fail the way it is now or there will be some retooling to make the show more enjoyable.

Paul

7. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I laughed several times, which is usually a good way to judge a sitcom, but I think that it would have worked better as a more subtle, single-camera show. I also agree that changing the characters names was silly, and they could have found someone a little better for the husband. I did enjoy enough that I would probably watch it, if the regular time slot was on Monday, when I have absolutely nothing I watch, but it's going to be on against Charmed, Simpsons, and American Dreams (I don't watch that, but my wife does) and we just don't have enough VCR's to get all of that.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I fell asleep trying to watch this on tape last night. Not a good sign.

10. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I tuned in for a bit and found it to be a big, fat, waste of time.

The opening sequence in the airport was just painful. What an attempt to force unfunny schtick down your throat. What was originally a very amusing and charming concept on the big-screen has been perverted into an Everybody-Loves-Raymond-with-a-big-greek-family'esque monstrosity... canned laughter and all.

This show had potential, assuming they retained the charming and engaging concepts presented by the film. Maintain the style (voiceover by TULA), the names (TULA, not NIA!), the plotline (house next to parents, etc.), and the timeline (Tula & husband have been married for a while and already have kids).

Oh yeah, and replace the husband with someone that doesn't remind me of an Epcot-Centre animatronic being. Personality & comic timing would be nice.

Moe.

11. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Absolute garbage.

I was not the biggest fan of the movie, but at the very least it was entertaining and endearing. The TV show, however, was staged, forced, contrived, unfunny, and just about as bad as sitcoms get. Blecch.

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
  13. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I was quite dissapointed that what was a good funny film, was turned into a typical sitcom. The story, just doesn't work as a sitcom. Now Tula (Nia?) is more energetic, living the gag a minute lifestyle associated with sitcoms. The husband is not nearly as accepting of the Greek lifestyle as he originally was. And everything, is just so...sitcommy. Laugh track and all. (Ugh.) Has television STILL not gone beyond this tired concept?

14. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

QUOTE:
    "Just sat through this. A lot different from the movie. Most of the comedy was forced, lots of overacting (reacting), but I suppose that's okay because it's supposed to be a comedy."

i could tell just by seeing the previews how forced and contrived they were trying to be with the comedy. thank god for laugh tracks huh, because those lame jokes sure wouldn't get any guffaws from a human. but then again, look at all the people who think "everybody loves raymond" is actually funny.

15. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

Everybody Loves Raymond is very funny in my oppinion. This spin-off is just terrible. My wife (a very forgiving viewer) did not like this show one bit. We bought the movie (site unseen) and liked it. It's a good thing they decided to release the movie first b/c this show probably would have determined my purchase and others. Laugh tracks or OK as long as the timing is right, but not everytime someone opens there mouth leaving the viewer with a puzzled look and thinking to themselves, "What's so funny?" I am sure the rating were high for this week, but I don't think we'll see those same numbers again. They should have just released a sequel movie like the first movie. I wonder what Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's reactions were to this show...if they watched it?[​IMG]

16. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also don't think this sitcom will last more than one season.
    It had none of the charm of the movie, it seemed more forced.
    The new husband is terrible.

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I couldn't believe 22.5 million people tuned in to watch its premiere episode. I wonder how it'll do in its Sunday timeslot.

19. Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer Stunt Coordinator

20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I would chalk up those numbers more to curiosity than stupidity. We all checked it out riiiight?[​IMG]

Look for it's audience to drop significantly from here on out.