My Beef with HT Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

The center channel seems to be the most important channel in the mix so why don't "ALL" HT receivers have seperate tone controls for the center speaker? You would'nt buy a stereo receiver without tone controls would you? So why are we buying surround sound receivers without "FULL TONE CONTROLS" for the center speaker. I know some expensive HT Receivers have them & some cheaper receivers like JVC have a few settings for the center speaker but I'm talking about FULL BLOWN CENTER SPEAKER TONE CONTROLS on "ALL" HT Receivers. You would think that on the really cheap receivers that center speaker tone controls would tone down some of the "harshness" & "brightness" of the receiver & that companies would use them. Any ideas beside the extra cost to the manufactures why we don't have them & why aren't we demanding them? Thanks for letting me ramble on[​IMG]

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

If you believe in THX for the Home Theater, then you would essentially turn OFF all tone controls when listening to a movie soundtrack.

That could be a reason why there aren't many recievers with tone controls for each individual channel...

Eric.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Maybe that's OK with THX speakers & processing but what about the really cheap receivers to get rid of the harshness? Would'nt a center tone control help with this? & the cost can't be that much to add it on can it? Why are we not demanding it?

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I believe that SONY ES and some non ES receiver provide full EQ controls for individual channels and also provide some kind of Bass management for individual channels. I had a 555ES and I know that receiver had EQ controls for all individual channels.

5. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Yes- almost all the Sony's do, even the low end models do. I really enjoyed that function on my old DE receiver. You make a good point. But with my new HK 125 no tone control is need whatsoever (on any channel).

6. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Tone controls? I don' need no steenkeeng tone controls! [​IMG]

8. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Will- I think many would disagree that the center channel is the most important. Many high end users don't employ a center channel at all. This may be considered the luxury of owning excellent full range mains. If you consider that the centers main function is dialog in movies and an absolute flat response should be preffered, any problem that you may have may be directly related to an inadiquate center speaker. If you have the ability, try experimenting with other centers and even other brands than your mains. Most important is to match the size of the tweeters in your l/r fronts. Also, if your fronts happen to be full range, disconnect the center and select the phantom mode on your receiver and note if there might be any improvement. My guess is a bad center speaker.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

This has nothing to do with my setup it's just my observation overall of HT Receivers. Yes of course if you have "HIGH END" gear you might be happy without tone controls I'm just thinking of receivers that are between the$150 to $300 range. My neighbor has a Technics receiver that the center channel really sounds "BRIGHT" to me & so do the right/left speakers in stereo mode but when you use the tone controls for the left/right speaker in the stereo mode it tones down the "brightness" & "harshness" Yes I know you can fool around trying different types of speakers & etc but how much could it cost the companies to add a center speaker tone control for Joe 6Pk. Again, please excuse my ranting. [​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here are my thoughts why no separate tone control for the center speaker:

For a HT system, you want an exact tone-match among the front 3 speakers so that sounds dont change as they move from speaker to speaker. This is why you want identical speakers in the front.

Modern movies are sending even dialog to the L/R speakers if the actors are at the edges of a scene. This is not the ProLogic days where the dialog was stripped & sent to the center channel.

So you really want any tone control to affect all 3 front speakers equally. This is why there are few receivers with center-only tone controls.

And I do consider the center speaker to be "the most important speaker". It carries most of the dialog, and a lot of the music and special effects.

Try disconnecting your center & rear speakers some time and sit in the room with a book to just listen to the ammount of signal that goes to the L/R. Depending upon the movie, you may only hear sounds 20-40% of the time. And the rear speakers: 10% of the time.

(I did this a few years ago to try and justify upgrading my rear speakers. I was shocked at how little sound really came from the rear channels.)

12. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression that tone controls could not be used with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks,

13. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Well one that does is the Pioneer 49TX. With its MCACC system it lets you adjust each speaker with a 9 band eq, or it does it itself with autocalibraion.

14. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Now how many Joe 6Pks would buy a 49TX? [​IMG]

15. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit