My Basement Theater Plan, Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shajan, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Shajan

Shajan Auditioning

2. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I've got a room that's similar. 13x20x8

I'm not thrilled about the curtain. Going to throw off the sound somewhat.

You may find that with a 65" TV you don't have much room to position the front speakers. I have a 65" and just enough room to set the speakers out from the walls and TV.

I guess that depends on what type of speakers your using too.

My basement has lots of extra space too. I have a small TV and stereo system (I'm talking cheap stuff 20" TV and JVC executive type system - say $400-$500). Kids sometimes watch the TV and play games on it. Wife used the stereo during exersize. The HT is dedicated. Just for watching movies or HDTV. It's kind of a treat. Not just for everyday stuff.

Just my ideas, hope you get lots of others.

Good luck and keep looking around here for great ideas.

3. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

I also have a similar layout in my lower level HT. Any chance you could put the TV & gear on the opposit end wall ? If so you could build them into the wall and access them from behind also gives you another 2 feet or so in your room. This is what I did in mine and it works out real well. Just a thought. Good luck and have fun.

Dave

4. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

i sit 8 feet away from a 50" widescreen and i think its too big, i dont know how you will feel about a 65" at 10 feet. Seriously sit 10 feet away at the store and make sure that size will be allright.

5. Shajan

Shajan Auditioning

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming.

I can't move the tv to the other side because of the stairs going up. It will be too narrow there.

I will be soundproofing the left wall so it's properties are similar to the curtain(non-reflective), also a riser for the rear seating.

Albert, I currently have the 65" and sit 10' away and the picture is fine. This is a HD Ready wide screen so I don't see the scan lines.

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It's a lot like my set up but I have a 12x24 (see my site) www.prosteering.8k.com . I would build a raised rear seating if I were you. And I question if your really going to have enough room for two rows to begin with. Nineteen feet is not a lot of room to work with! My front row is 14' back from the screen which is the wall (front projection). Then I have 3' of legroom for the next row which only leaves about 2 1/2' of walking room behind the rear couch and the back wall. So I would measure your couches closely and perhaps mark the floor to see if it will fit as you have indicated. If I were you I would put the 65" out in the game room and run front projection in the theater. This way you could wall off the room and have a theater that can play loud with out disturbing the others in the house. I would also run a second set of L/R surrounds for the rear seating, other wise the rear seating will have poor surround imaging!
    Wes