My Bargain Buy of the week....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Aug 3, 2002.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

"Sanvein" on the PSX for the grand price of $2.99.
    It's part of Agetec's "A1" range of budget PSX imports from Japan, and is badged as being "SHOOTER: starfighter sanvein".
    It's a completely simple game. You have a small hexagon area you can scroll about with a bunch of baddies in it. When you kill them all, you can then choose another hexagon to attack. The strategy is that the more hexagons you've beaten attached to a 'new' hexagon, the stronger your weapons are... So the emphasis is clearing the hexagons surrounding hte boss battles you need to clear to finish a level.
    Sounds straightforward? It is, except for one simple twist. You have a timer constantly counting down. When it hits zero, game over. If you're shot, you lose time. Only way to regain time is to beat the bosses...
    Graphics are straightforward - some nice explosions, some nice "wireframe" effects in the background like REZ, with the overall look being something Tron-like. Little bit of slowdown, but it adds to the flavour of an old school shooter [​IMG]
    I'm really enjoying it. Would I pay $40? No way! But the equivalent of two pounds? Yeah baby! Of course, I think Dragon Warriors 7 for $20 new was a good price too, but this bargain beats it [​IMG]
    Horrible screenshot #1 Horrible screenshot #2

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I'll have to have a hunt for it. By the way, you (and other forum posters) should do this more often. I always appreciate an alert for a game I might otherwise overlook. . .

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well, I got it at my local mall GameStop if that's any help in the hunt...