My apologies to HTF...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Cabral, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

I wanted to express my apologies for what seems to be a string of instances where I win a Ubid auction for a desirable item, and they seem to stop running auctions on that item.

First, it was the Parasound HCA-2205A. I know this has been a highly sought-after item here at HTF, and I immediately noticed that not a single one has surfaced on Ubid since I won mine.

Next came the Klipsch Legend KLF-30's. Once again, as soon as I won my auction, they seem to have stopped offering them.

Then, the Sennheiser HD-580s. Again, after I won my auction, they did not re-appear.

While I'm grateful that I had the fortune of getting these items at a significant discount, I also feel pangs of guilt because I feel like I've prevented others here from getting similar bargains. I think the guilt stems from the fact that I've gotten tons of great tips and advice from the members here, both from reading existing threads while lurking before I officially joined, and by responses to my own threads since I've joined.

Luckily, I think I'm fairly well settled in with my setup for the time being, so I should stop ruining things for others here.

I've been reading these forums for a few months now, and can't tell you how much I've learned in that short time. The amount of knowledge here is vast and impressive, and hopefully some will rub off on me so that, in time, I might be able to contribute something of value back to the forum that may equal what I have taken away.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

so what you're saying is you feel bad for not pointing out the auctions where you won at a great price? do you mean to say that you wished you had notified all 20,000+ members here so you would have competition on items you were bidding on? as much as i like htf and the members here...if i'm about to win an item at a great price, i wouldn't tell a deaf, blind mute!

kevin t

4. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

What Kevin said[​IMG]

5. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Agreed. Now let's all go have ice cream.

6. Dan Cabral

I'm sorry if you guys misinterpreted my post.

I guess it was my clumsy way of saying thanks for all of the great assistance and info I've gotten here, and a way for me to express that I do hope to be able to give back to others here so they may be able to benefit in some way from me, as I have from them. I was also using examples to point out the somewhat humorous irony present in the events surrounding these auctions.

I was also partially apologizing because I did find out about the various Parasound auctions through this forum, and like I said, after the auction closed where I got one, they have not re-emerged on there.

To respond to Kevin, no, I probably wouldn't go around pointing others to an auction I was bidding on, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem pointing others to a similar auction if they popped up again. To be fair, that's exactly how I found one of the items I won.

I also did not mean for it to be "self-congratulatory", and I'm sorry if it was interpreted as such. While I am happy with my good fortunes, I wouldn't want to rub anyone's face in it.

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

No need to apologize Dan. How would you know no more Parasounds would show up. I got the 1205A at Ubid, thanks to what others, like you, had written here at HTF. I only noticed one other of my model go up for bid and that was the day after I won. Nonetheless, I always pointed others toward Ubid to check on whether other amps might show up. You never know if Parasound might unload a shipload of other amps to Ubid. That's trying to help the brethren here and a service to the forum.

By the way, I have Klipsch Reference speakers and they sound so much better over the sound produced when matched with my Onkyo receiver. What's your experience been like?

8. Dan Cabral

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dan: The Internet is open to all comers. As you've been told, no need to apologize. Hope you enjoy Home Theater Forum. JB

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I dunno, Jack. I think you and the other mods should have a pow-wow and discuss this. I think Dan should get the boot.
    On the other hand, Ice Cream sounds really good right about now! [​IMG]
    ----------------------------
    Dan, I hope you enjoy your "ill-gotten" gains. As others have said, we're very happy to be of service. Take as much advantage as you want!

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Apology accepted! For penance, I think you should donate your ill-begotten goods to me!

12. Dan Cabral