What's new

My apartment was robbed today. :( (1 Viewer)

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I left this morning around 10am, and got a call from my roommate at about 1:15, asking where my Playstation 2 and Dreamcast were. :frowning: I came home between classes and noticed that I was also missing 8 PS2 games, controllers, mem cards, some expensive headphones, my laptop computer, watch, portable dvd player, pda, and a buch of dvds (that I've noticed so far.) I've called my landlord and the police, and my parents tell me that their insurance covers it (save the deductable, of course). Does anyone know how exactly the insurance company reimburses you? Do they give you a check, or replace all the stuff (and if so, how much say do you have on the condition/model numbers/etc. of the replacements)? Any suggestions?
Dave

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Bummer dude. I am sorry to hear of this. I have homeowners insurance with Farmers and as far as I understand I can be reimbursed for an approximate value of the items lost. I do not think that I have to provide a list of serial numbers to Farmer's in order to receive a check. All that is required is a legit Police report/investigation detailing the items lost.

Hope things work out,

Michael.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
How much do you trust your roommate? Strange how he was the one who called you. What time did your place get robbed and where was he at the time? Where were you?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sorry to hear that. Hope the insurance company reimburses you for your losses...

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
If, indeed, you're parents' insurance does cover you, you're very lucky, most policies won't if you don't live at home. As what they'll pay, it depends on whether the policy covers the present value of an item or "full replacement cost". There's a big difference here. If you paid $500 for a tv, now it's used any it's value may only be a couple of hundred bucks or less which would be all the insurance would pay. If you have "full replacement" they'll pay what it costs to buy a new one.

You will have to file a report with the police. Be aware that they may investigate your roomie. Now, I'm not saying he did anything, but expect that. Also, depending on the size of your claim the insurance company may ask for proof that you owned what you're claiming was stolen. That's why it's always a good idea to keep sales receipts, etc. on expensive items.

One other suggestion, if it turns out that you parents' insurance doesn't pay, get yourself some "renters insurance". It won't help you this time, but it can save you a lot of grief in the future. It would also cover you in the event you accidently set the place on fire and the landlord sues you or someone slips in the bathtub and gets hurt. The landlord's insurance won't cover you're losses, only his. Good luck.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
The only reason I'm suspicious is that I've seen these things happen before, in college towns, and they are usually inside jobs. Unless this is a best friend roomie, or it was a violent break-in, I'd honestly start to wonder. Was it a clean break-in? Even if your roomie didn't do it personally (and has a good alliby) he could have given someone else access to the place via a copied key.

I'm probably off-base but then again...

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Assuming the doors and windows were secure to suggest that the apartment was robbed with no signs of forced entry is odd bud but your best bet for recovery is the insurance company. Nothing short of a full confession by the roomate would get the police involved and even that wouldn't gurantee the return of your stuff.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
True robbery is when one is present and the stuff is taken away, burglary is when stuff is stolen without anyone present. But he said apartment was robbed, not him, so the apartment was present, and it was a robbery ;) Solid logic, hehe.
I'd watch the ebay though for sellers from your general geographic area selling similar items.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Wow, sorry to hear this. What a bummer. Give us some more details - was the apartment broken into? (damaged door, broken window, signs of forced entry?) Or were the items just missing?

If you paid $500 for a tv, now it's used any it's value may only be a couple of hundred bucks or less which would be all the insurance would pay.
Yep. Always make sure your insurance covers replacement value. That way, you can buy new stuff. Otherwise, they're going to say, "Well, that laptop cost you $2500, but it's a year old, so it's only worth $500. Here's your $500." IMHO, that's BS, and I don't think insurance companies should be able to operate that way. You'll never get enough money to replace your stuff.

Everything I have insured is covered for replacement value. If someone steals my TV, I get enough money to buy a new one with similar specs. If someone ripped me off, I'd be really upset, but it wouldn't be the end of the world because I would get all new stuff. That's much easier to swallow.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Always make sure your insurance covers replacement value. That way, you can buy new stuff. Otherwise, they're going to say, "Well, that laptop cost you $2500, but it's a year old, so it's only worth $500. Here's your $500." IMHO, that's BS, and I don't think insurance companies should be able to operate that way. You'll never get enough money to replace your stuff.
I wouldn't say it's BS, it's just the way the policy is written, and of course it will cost more for a replacement-cost policy. I think what most insurance companies do in the case of replacement-cost policies is give you a choice. For example, let's say you spent $600 on new golf clubs ten years ago and they are only worth $150 now. What my insurance company (State Farm) does is give me $150 in cash right off the bat (even I never replace the clubs) and then if I choose to purchase a new set for $600 they will send me the rest.

Dave George

Stunt Coordinator
OK, fine then, my apartment was "burglarized." :) Either way, all my stuff's still gone :frowning:
Details:
We live in an apartment building, and a key is needed to get in the building, unless someone lets you in. My roommate came home to find our front door wide open. I *KNOW* that I locked it before I left, I'm anal about that things like that. No signs of forced entry. However, I trust my roommate. I've known him for 2.5 years, lived with him for 1.5. Plus, he's from California, and wouldn't have anywhere to put the stuff anyway. Also, a woman next door said her credit cards were stolen yesterday. At any rate, my locks are already changed.
The good news: the insurance covers replacement value. As I understand it, I go and buy replacement stuff, and they reimburse me. Or, if I'm not replacing it, they give me the discounted value (I'm not sure how they go about calculating that, but I suspect I'd be better off replacing everything). I was specifically concerned about the laptop, as it's a few years old and I didn't know how they'd value it, but they said that they understand that computers change and that I should go buy a new one and they'll cover it. Anyway, I'm off to the Computer Hardware section t osee where I can get a cheap laptop replacement.
Dave

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm......

Dave, that's a pretty sweet deal. If I were Columbo, you'd be my number 1 suspect.

Just kiddin' Dude. Glad things worked out for you.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear that.Burgarly and fire is something I dread,I have alot of stuff that can never be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks