1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

My apartment was robbed today. :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave George, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Dave George

Dave George Stunt Coordinator

Well, I left this morning around 10am, and got a call from my roommate at about 1:15, asking where my Playstation 2 and Dreamcast were. [​IMG] I came home between classes and noticed that I was also missing 8 PS2 games, controllers, mem cards, some expensive headphones, my laptop computer, watch, portable dvd player, pda, and a buch of dvds (that I've noticed so far.) I've called my landlord and the police, and my parents tell me that their insurance covers it (save the deductable, of course). Does anyone know how exactly the insurance company reimburses you? Do they give you a check, or replace all the stuff (and if so, how much say do you have on the condition/model numbers/etc. of the replacements)? Any suggestions?
    Dave

2. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Bummer dude. I am sorry to hear of this. I have homeowners insurance with Farmers and as far as I understand I can be reimbursed for an approximate value of the items lost. I do not think that I have to provide a list of serial numbers to Farmer's in order to receive a check. All that is required is a legit Police report/investigation detailing the items lost.

Hope things work out,

Michael.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Crap, thats gotta suck... [​IMG]

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

How much do you trust your roommate? Strange how he was the one who called you. What time did your place get robbed and where was he at the time? Where were you?

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sorry to hear that. Hope the insurance company reimburses you for your losses...

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

My sympathies. Hope you can get back what you lost.

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    If, indeed, you're parents' insurance does cover you, you're very lucky, most policies won't if you don't live at home. As what they'll pay, it depends on whether the policy covers the present value of an item or "full replacement cost". There's a big difference here. If you paid $500 for a tv, now it's used any it's value may only be a couple of hundred bucks or less which would be all the insurance would pay. If you have "full replacement" they'll pay what it costs to buy a new one.

You will have to file a report with the police. Be aware that they may investigate your roomie. Now, I'm not saying he did anything, but expect that. Also, depending on the size of your claim the insurance company may ask for proof that you owned what you're claiming was stolen. That's why it's always a good idea to keep sales receipts, etc. on expensive items.

One other suggestion, if it turns out that you parents' insurance doesn't pay, get yourself some "renters insurance". It won't help you this time, but it can save you a lot of grief in the future. It would also cover you in the event you accidently set the place on fire and the landlord sues you or someone slips in the bathtub and gets hurt. The landlord's insurance won't cover you're losses, only his. Good luck.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

The only reason I'm suspicious is that I've seen these things happen before, in college towns, and they are usually inside jobs. Unless this is a best friend roomie, or it was a violent break-in, I'd honestly start to wonder. Was it a clean break-in? Even if your roomie didn't do it personally (and has a good alliby) he could have given someone else access to the place via a copied key.

I'm probably off-base but then again...

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I would have to agree with Ryan on that one.

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Assuming the doors and windows were secure to suggest that the apartment was robbed with no signs of forced entry is odd bud but your best bet for recovery is the insurance company. Nothing short of a full confession by the roomate would get the police involved and even that wouldn't gurantee the return of your stuff.

11. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

MOTHERFUCKIN SON OF A BITCH!!!!![​IMG] Sorry, but hearing things like this pisses me off! Good luck and God Bless!

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

It was burglary.

13. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

True robbery is when one is present and the stuff is taken away, burglary is when stuff is stolen without anyone present. But he said apartment was robbed, not him, so the apartment was present, and it was a robbery [​IMG] Solid logic, hehe.
    I'd watch the ebay though for sellers from your general geographic area selling similar items.

14. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Wow, sorry to hear this. What a bummer. Give us some more details - was the apartment broken into? (damaged door, broken window, signs of forced entry?) Or were the items just missing?

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

16. Dave George

Dave George Stunt Coordinator

OK, fine then, my apartment was "burglarized." [​IMG] Either way, all my stuff's still gone [​IMG]
    Details:
    We live in an apartment building, and a key is needed to get in the building, unless someone lets you in. My roommate came home to find our front door wide open. I *KNOW* that I locked it before I left, I'm anal about that things like that. No signs of forced entry. However, I trust my roommate. I've known him for 2.5 years, lived with him for 1.5. Plus, he's from California, and wouldn't have anywhere to put the stuff anyway. Also, a woman next door said her credit cards were stolen yesterday. At any rate, my locks are already changed.
    The good news: the insurance covers replacement value. As I understand it, I go and buy replacement stuff, and they reimburse me. Or, if I'm not replacing it, they give me the discounted value (I'm not sure how they go about calculating that, but I suspect I'd be better off replacing everything). I was specifically concerned about the laptop, as it's a few years old and I didn't know how they'd value it, but they said that they understand that computers change and that I should go buy a new one and they'll cover it. Anyway, I'm off to the Computer Hardware section t osee where I can get a cheap laptop replacement.
    Dave

17. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Really sorry to hear that. Wish stuff like that didn't happen. [​IMG]
    Jon

18. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Hmmmmm......

Dave, that's a pretty sweet deal. If I were Columbo, you'd be my number 1 suspect.

Just kiddin' Dude. Glad things worked out for you.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Sorry to hear that.Burgarly and fire is something I dread,I have alot of stuff that can never be replaced.

20. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter