My Annual Upgrade: Studio CC

Darren H

Second Unit
Because my wife and I are still students, my upgrade process is slower than most:

Spring 2000: I discovered HTF while looking for advice on a $300-$350 5.1 receiver. After two months of lurking, I spent nearly four times that much on a Denon 3300 and small subwoofer (Klipsch KSW-12).

Spring 2001: Knowing that my boxy old main speakers were the weakest link -- they had travelled with me since the dorm days -- I saved up to buy a pair of Studio 40s. 2-Channel music had never sounded so good, but . . .

Spring 2002: . . . the low-end Infinity center channel I had been using since the mid-90s was no longer doing the job. So, yesterday I picked up a new Studio CC. Oh my! That's a helluva speaker. I'm loving the soundstage those three speakers create.

Next up: Malata region-free player (hopefully by Christmas), followed by separate amps. Ain't this a fun hobby (especially when we have new toys)?

Todd_B

Second Unit
Small world..I'm getting ready to purchase the Studio CC after work today to add to my 40s up front.

Todd B

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The CC is a great speaker! Congrat! I find that it doesn't blend into the 100's as nicely as I would like. How do you like it with the 40's?

Best regards,

Martin.

Darren H

Second Unit
Todd, Martin, it's the perfect speaker to mate with the 40s as they all employ the exact same drivers. The CC is essentially the 40 turned on its side with the tweeter shifted to the center of the box.

The improvement over the old speaker is most noticeable when listening to music in 5-channel. The blend is prett seamless -- I can now walk from side-to-side across the soundstage without noticing any tonal differences.
if I had to upgrade that slowly I would drive myself nuts
It ain't easy, but I've promised myself that I would never go into debt for this hobby, and I've stuck to it. My wife and I will both finish school in about two years. Until then, I'll be forced to keep this pace.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan