My annual plea for EL NORTE and other M.I.A. foreign films...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Okay, whoever is keeping EL NORTE locked up or buried, please share this very fine film with a new generation of movie collectors so we can regurgitate those abysmal VHS copies of many years ago.

And, while you're at it...

CRIA CUERVOS
    FORBIDDEN GAMES (decent Region 1 release)
    VIRGIN SPRING
    GATE OF HELL (fully restored)
    WEEKEND
    UGETSU
    HARIKARI
    FIRES ON THE PLAIN

and hundreds of other worthy titles.

Thanks!

2. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

I haven't seen El Norte since I was in high school, remembering it as a film having something for everyone. Though it certainly was a stark drama, it had its humor and even a sense of adventure. Perhaps that's what really made the film great: It's that drive to seek out and and see new sights, hoping to become more aware of the world you live in. Who needs science fiction to take us to places unknown? You can do it right now (and in fact thousands do this everyday, albeit to flee from hunger or economic repression) and the journey is just as real as it feels like in this film.

So, yes, it's a shame that it's not out on DVD. Is there a petition that I can sign so as to publicly show my interest in it? Have you sent letters to studios, home video depts., directors, producers, etc., and told them you want this on DVD now? I hope it comes out on DVD soon.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    There are no petitions that I am aware of. I really doubt these work, unless there are thousands of signatures (i.e. WILLY WONKA). I believe there is a Region 4 release of this, but I have no information as to what ratio it is in, etc. I am hoping someone in this country who owns the rights will realise what a gold mine they have an release it.

4. Benn

Benn Stunt Coordinator

I'd still prefer the Japanese version of SHALL WE DANCE? If MariMax would just release it in a wide screen version.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Count me in as someone who would like to see El Norte on DVD.

I saw it in my Conversational Spanish class last semester in college. Excellent and an important film.

The tape (which has been out of print for ages) was released by CBS-FOX, FYI.

The current rights could be with Lion's Gate or MGM. Artisan handled the 2000 re-release, but other Island Alive films (who originally handled the film) have been released by MGM on DVD.

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    If the rights are with Lion's Gate, we can pretty much write off a DVD release. If with MGM, perhaps that company could include it in one final wave of their foreign language series before Sony takes over. Then, again, one of the few remaining strong points of Sony is its consistent support of foreign DVD releases under the "Sony Classics" moniker, so, maybe... just maybe...