My Anchor Bay DVD of "FM" will no longer play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Strang, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Has anyone here had this happen?

I bought this title when it first hit the market and played it that night. Now, 3-4 years late, it refuses to play on anything. Tried it on my Acer laptop, brother in laws playstation 2, my old Toshiba and a newer Magnavox in our bedroom.

I really can't see anything obvious with the disc that would lead one to believe it had deteriorated.

I couldn't find anything on Anchor Bay's website about defects with the disc and listing of available titles to report did not include FM.
    So I emailed Universal Studios (original owner of FM) and received a polite email back stating that they had licensed that title to Good Times video. I saw no mention of that title anywhere on Good Times site.

I assume it's out of print since the only copys I could find on the web were all used and selling for $50+.

Thanks

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I ahve been discovering that a good number of my Anchor Bay DVDs are failing after a few years. They have a customer support section for replacing bad discs, but not everything they have released is in there:

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...?p=FAQ_Problem

I received no response from the last title I inquired about, though I have 4 discs that need replacement.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Anchor Bay has had several discs that have been well known to fail after a time (the first version of HEATHERS, the KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE). They were all rereleased.

FM may have had some of the same issues.

4. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    Not to mention FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN, THE WITCHES,and OPERA - all of these have been widely reported as dud pressings.

Then there have been others such as FM that are now starting to finally go bad as well. I picked up a used FM in great shape a year ago and it wouldn't play at all. I have also seen the same situation with copies of TWO-LANE BLACKTOP, THE BEDROOM WINDOW, ALOHA BOBBY AND ROSE, and a few others. A friend told me recently his original CHILDREN OF THE CORN disc suddenly stopped working (which may be a good thing!). I think a lot of the older Anchor Bay titles will eventually go bad so if there's an OOP collectible title of theirs you are hunting down, don't pay too much for it!

5. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Hey Jon-

You mentioned the first version of Heathers. Do you
    mean that Anchor Bay had to re-issue this title because
    of defects, or that they upgraded a bare-bones release to what is out there now? I know that Wal-Mart is selling this title for cheap ($7.50), and I was thinking about buying it,
    but don't want to buy a DVD that will self-destruct. Thanks
    for any information.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The original SE of Heathers was screwed up. AB replaced mine. I'm not going to be too happy if more of the 100 or so AB discs I have start going bad, especially if they can't be replaced. Even their single layer discs are going bad. This is not a good thing. [​IMG]

7. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I hate to think my VHS of ALOHA BOBBY AND ROSE (which to me the colors were more in par with what the filmmakers intended over the DVD) will outlive my DVD?

My biggest concern is, (and i do not want to make this thread get off topic) since these are hppening to titles that I do not see a forseeable re-release anytime soon, doesn't this defeat the whole sales point of DVD lasting longer than LD or vhs?

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Dunno. With any optical disc, it's a question of the manufacturing process whether they last; I've watched DiscoVision pressings from 1978 which still look as good as the day they came off the line [not that that's too great, but I digress]. Of course, the other nine tenths of DiscoVision's product was either bad on the floor or went bad after a few years. DVD's manufacturing process is inherently more complex than for LD, and the compressed encoding means less tolerance for defects and decay [even with the big juju error correction codes], but there's less actual space and mass for defects to be included into.
    With LD you can be pretty certain that if a disc has lasted 5 years it'll stick around a lot longer; what seems to be the latest that DVDs go bad without warning? If you can find that out, you can pretty much be sure that anything older than that, which doesn't exhibit signs of decay, is permanent.

9. Scott Strang

After searching through my dvd's I found 3 other Anchor Bay titles. Def Con 4, Black Hole and Philidelphia Experiment.
    All three play fine.

But those were from my "weird" DVD collection in my cave.
    I'm willing to bet that there are many other Anchor Bay titles in our main collection.

I've never had a failure in optical media. None of my stamped cd's, LD's or CD-R's have died. I have CD-R's that I burned in 1996 and they still play without a hitch (although my cd players don't have error indicators) and they passed tests with a Plextor util I've got.

Heck, even my copy of Contact is still alive and kicking.

I hate the fact that we probably all have DVD's in our collections that are dying slowly.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

The reissued HEATHERS in a corrected version, with a "Version 2.0" sticker on it. If you find it without a sticker (and it is the special edition, there is a bare bones one from years ago that may be ok), it may be that first pressing, most of which are duds. Mine lasted longer than most, but then I went to play it and it wouldn't play.

With KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE, they totally changed the artwork. The original pressing (with the original theatrical sneaker poster on the front) was a dud. The secondary artwork (forgot what is on it) is okay.

11. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info, Jon.[​IMG]

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Remarkable! I'll believe it, of course, but you're certainly lucky. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have many Columbia/Tristar Home Video LDs, made in Terre Haute [LDVS-*****]. Of the 5 "rotters" I have [including a pair of duplicates] 4 are out of that plant, and the fifth is the first pressing, by DiscTronics [later Warner's WEA], of "A Video Standard".

13. Scott Strang

That's certainly true. In fact I have no more than maybe 60 LD's as I got into LD after the format was dying.

But I have hundreds of DVD's, CD's and CD-R's that are still working. Even more remarkable (but non-optical) is that I have DAT's that I recorded in 96 also that play perfectly well today. To be honest I never expected DAT tapes to live more than 2 or 3 years.

14. mikey ra

mikey ra Stunt Coordinator

Early this year, my first disc to malfunction was Vertigo (orange cover). It didn't play at all. So I came here and read all the previous posts on delamination and "rot".

Since then, I started checking my entire collection (watching any dual layered discs from just before the layer change until about 30-40 minutes into the feature or bonus material). I am about halfway through my collection. So far, the only other "rotted" disc I found was Lone Star - which played fine until about 10 minutes after the layer change.

My Anchor Bay titles so far have been fine (including Heathers, Halloween and the Black Hole) I'll keep y'all posted if I come across any others.

15. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    My Heathers SE was from the initial batch (pre-ordered) and it was DOA. It took OPERA about a month to fail. There was a short timeframe when these problems happened. I have not encountered other catastropic problems with AB titles, but there were also some AB discs from that year that had glitches that kept them from starting without some manipulation. These glitches were discussed on HTF at the time. By the way, my pre-ordered DVD of CONTACT is still alive and well. This DVD has often been cited for rot.

16. Michael-de-Mat

Has anyone had a problem with "Frankenstein Created Woman". I have two copies and both will not play!

17. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Is this a case of 'DVD rot' or are newer DVD players just not able to play these older DVDs because of software issues?

In either case, this news is distressing. More reason to make back-up copies of your DVDs, I imagine.

18. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

That was an Anchor Bay title that was notorious for crappin' out, IIRC.

19. Michael-de-Mat

I have many older "Anchor Bay" titles that play fine. I wonder if "Frankenstein Created Woman" was made with a bad process at the factory?

20. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

My KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE is also dead. I better check THE CAR. It is the only older Anchor Bay title I have.