What's new

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
For sure! I think we all feel we should have the opportunity to watch what we like. Those who want to should be able to darken their rooms and show magic lantern slides. 3D enthusiasts should be able to enjoy their hobby at home too.

That is why we 3D enthusiasts are so bumbed out by the lack of support now from the electronics industry.
I agree - but I really don't know what to do about it. It seems the only support we now have is projection 1080p or VR. Most BR titles are now only available in Europe.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Except for all the scratches missing frames and noisy projectors in analogy presentations, I can’t tell the difference. We even went to a “Nitrate” festival and totally failed to see any difference.

It is one thing to see a classic movie projected from a beautifully restored print in a big city, but do you remember seeing a movie that had been out for a while before it came to your town? When I first saw Oklahoma in first run, the print our theatre received had a huge scratch in the middle of the picture through the entire thing.

We screened SOUTH PACIFIC for 25 weeks and THE SOUND OF MUSIC for 41 weeks. The prints were in the same perfect condition when they were first screened as they were when their seasons concluded. It's all about how the projectionists treated the prints. S.P. already had a lengthy season (8 months) at another cinema before we screened it. Properly cared for, a 70mm pint will last for several years without getting so much as a single scratch. Both S.P. and SOM ran for several years each in 70mm in London and Sydney and all with the same print for each film.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I also find to-day's movies 'flat' even when they are not in 3-D (of which I am not a fan). A common problem with to-day's movies is that they are digital rather than actual film. That is the reason that they really have NO depth and appear flat. 3-D digital is even worse (i.e - woeful).You are in the minority TJPT if you are a massive 3-D fan..For me 3-D only really works on my 3-D television. In the cinema it is a dead loss. Two cinema projectionist friends of mine also say the same. I cringe every time that a friend makes me see a digital film in a cinema.

Also, 3-D is rarely projected properly in theaters. Usually the bulb is too dim. I've never understood the lack of quality control for 3-D projection in multiplexes. As I may have said in an earlier post this thread, I've only had two positive 3-D experiences in theaters in the 21st century: CORALINE at a preview screening in a small screening room, and TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON in 3-D IMAX on a vary large screen. That's it! The last 3-D screening I went to was MOANA, and only because it was the only convenient screening and if I passed on it, I probably wouldn't have seen the film at all. But I've avoided 3-D ever since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks