1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My all-time favorite movie process

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ed Maidel, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I remember seeing Oklahoma at our largest movie theatre and not being impressed at all! The print had a huge scratch right in the middle of the image through out the film.
    We were barely teenagers, and our theory at the time was that because it was 70mm, they must have had to glue reels of 35 mm film together! :P

2. Message #42 of 64 May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    I saw SOUND OF MUSIC and STAR! at the Madison Theater in Detroit In 65 and 68. Also saw DOCTOR DOLITTLE at the United Artists theater in 67. AGONY AND THE ECSTASY at the Music Hall and MAGNIFICENT MEN IN FLYING MACHINES at Adams theater in 60's.also--HELLO DOLLY at the Americana theater in Detroit and AIRPORT at radio city music hall.I almost forgot this-- When I was 14 I went on a trip to LA with my aunt and while we were there I saw CLEOPATRA at the Pantages theater.

3. breeezer

breeezer Agent

Bryce

Sorry--wasn't sure how to quote.

I met the owner of the Capri around 1970, as he booked films for my family's small town theater. He showed me his list of films that he rotated with other collectors and showed in his private viewing room--with the best lenses and theater seats from the Capri! Since then I always wanted my own screening room and library, and now I have one--on blu ray!!

4. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Good to hear.The report I was referring to was probably a preview as it was specifically about the Plaza.
    I was told that at the premiere with the Queen, the projectionist mixed up the reels.
    Any truth to that?

5. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Only a very short shot of the outside of the Rivoli at night towards the end I think was removed .
    Never saw the March of Todd-AO theatrically though.

6. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    Probably the most widely seen showing of VistaVision in its original horizontally projected format was STORY OF A PATRIOT in Williamsburg, Va. This short orientation film was shown starting in 1956 in two purpose built auditoriums with curved ceiling to floor, wall to wall screens. This presentation also featured six track Todd-Ao sound. The VistaVision prints had magnetic stripes for the sound... rare that any VistaVision films were shown with stereo sound, most used the pseudo-stereo Perspecta sound. It was shown in this format for decades. About 15 years ago the film was restored by our Robert Harris and the restoration was shown in 70mm. Not sure if they have gone with digital projection since then. A projectionist acquaintance gave me a piece of one of the VistaVision prints for STORY OF A PATRIOT. I am going to try to upload it here. Jack Lord, long before HAWAII FIVE O, was the star and you may be able to recognize him if you look carefully. You can see the magnetic sound tracks on either side of the mage and outside of the perfs. The film also had a nice score by Bernard Herrmann. Scan_20180522 (2).

7. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    I saw THE MIRACLE OF TODD-AO numerous times during it's run of 25 weeks ,where I worked. We also screened THE MARCH OF TODD-AO much later so I also saw that numerous times. Both looked great on our 60 ft curved TODD-AO screen. Those were the days!

8. Spencer Draper

Spencer Draper Stunt Coordinator

Spencer Draper
    Wow that 8 perf VV sample looks incredible! Interesting to see it with the mag striping as it does seem virtually all regular VV releases were mono only or Perspecta.

Once, just once I would like to at least see each of the grand processes that so far I've only been able to ever read about. Todd-AO, 70mm mag, Cinemascope with 4 track mag, Ultra Panavision 70 (not the Hateful 8 variety), Cinerama, VistaVision and all the other wondrous sound and picture processes that have existed over the years. The closest I've ever come is probably seeing standard prints of VV features which looked quite amazing. Maybe one day I can get to one of the big 70mm festivals.

But I'd even settle for a proper standard presentation these days as the level of quality presentation has decreased so much that I cannot even think of a decent theater anywhere within driving distance. Seeing 15/70 IMAX was a huge disappointment for me as I've always felt the format and theater design was more suited for non-narrative programs and the sound was horrible. (I have seen several IMAX presentations in a true IMAX theater and even in an Omnimax dome-and TDKR was pretty bad. Surprisingly the old Attack of the Clones IMAX version wasn't half bad when I saw it and I would have thought it would be being from the low res digital shoot.)

I have to say that artistically I do adore what Techniscope produced by being the cheap alternative to 4 perf scope. Due to being 2 perf and not requiring anamorphic lenses, the usage of the scope ratio with sharper lenses results in a wondrous looking mix of sharp photography with a very grainy almost low budget/documentary feeling because each frame was essentially 16mm in quality by being cut in half. Many of my favorite films have this distinct look to them that even despite the limitations look incredible on the big screen and have some truly legendary photography-films like the Leone Westerns, The IPCRESS File and THX-1138.

But my favorite actual process? IB dye transfer. The very small handful of Tech prints I've seen have all been incredible experiences.Yes each print can vary from the source, yes they're not perfect-but they can be played in any proper theater without extra equipment and properly preserved are works of art themselves.

9. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Which films have you seen in this way?

10. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    No much mention here, but my favorite process is still 3D. I don’t care if it is a classic movie or brand new, I still find the process immeserably I enhances every movie. I am a died in the wool advocate and still wonder why every movie and every TV show is not 3D. Consequently I am only seeing the 3D showings if they exist (I find regular movies flat!) and seeking out 3D Blu rays from Timbucktu!

Jimbo64 likes this.
  11. Message #51 of 64 May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Not a 3-D fan at all. The most positive 3-D experiences I've had have been KISS ME KATE (1953) at the Film Forum in Manhattan around 1992 and TRANSFORMERS 3: DARK OF THE MOON in 3-D IMAX at the Lincoln Square in 2011. I used to enjoy the novelty of seeing the 1950s films in 3-D, but it's not something I feel any attachment to, nor am I eager to see any more. As for recent 3-D films (21st century), I haven't enjoyed the experience at all, except for the aforementioned TRANSFORMERS film where the projection was up to par and I was in the perfect seat for it. I remember the highly touted AVATAR being particularly annoying. I even got up from my seat and walked around the packed house to see if the 3-D improved from other angles. It didn't. Turned out the projection bulb was too dim for the 3-D, but I didn't learn this till later.

If every new movie and TV show were in 3-D, I'd just not watch any of it and stick to DVDs in my collection. I have enough to last me the rest of my life. I suspect that if 3-D hasn't taken hold by now, it's not going to. That could be why it hasn't been mentioned much in this thread.

12. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I hope you saw it projected properly eventually! The 3D is astonishing.

13. Message #53 of 64 May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    If you're referring to AVATAR, no. I didn't like the film at all, regardless of the 3-D, so I had no interest in trying again.

14. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Mysto likes this.
  15. Message #55 of 64 Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    As usual - a well thought out and insightful article. Thanks for the link.

Added: The more I think about it the more I realize, that for me, the process is best that amplifies the story and director's vision. The Maltese Falcon must be b/w academy but Lawrence of Arabia must be in its wide screen color brilliance.

RobertR and Vic Pardo like this.
  16. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter

I also find to-day's movies 'flat' even when they are not in 3-D (of which I am not a fan). A common problem with to-day's movies is that they are digital rather than actual film. That is the reason that they really have NO depth and appear flat. 3-D digital is even worse (i.e - woeful).You are in the minority TJPT if you are a massive 3-D fan..For me 3-D only really works on my 3-D television. In the cinema it is a dead loss. Two cinema projectionist friends of mine also say the same. I cringe every time that a friend makes me see a digital film in a cinema.

Vic Pardo likes this.
  17. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Except for all the scratches missing frames and noisy projectors in analogy presentations, I can’t tell the difference. We even went to a “Nitrate” festival and totally failed to see any difference.

It is one thing to see a classic movie projected from a beautifully restored print in a big city, but do you remember seeing a movie that had been out for a while before it came to your town? When I first saw Oklahoma in first run, the print our theatre received had a huge scratch in the middle of the picture through the entire thing.

18. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I'm really don't know if digital vs. film is real or not. I do know that some of our (my) dislikes/likes are based on nostalgia and memories. Example - the new Disney animated releases have been lambasted for the lack of film grain - they should look like what we remember from the movies. (me too). But the truth is the original art from which they came had no grain. The current digital copies probably look closer to what they really looked like before film got in the way.
    IMO preferences are personal and are based on a lot of factors.

19. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    For sure! I think we all feel we should have the opportunity to watch what we like. Those who want to should be able to darken their rooms and show magic lantern slides. 3D enthusiasts should be able to enjoy their hobby at home too.

That is why we 3D enthusiasts are so bumbed out by the lack of support now from the electronics industry.

20. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I do find that puzzling. Generally most experts agree that the bigger the picture the better the 3D. It's because when your eyes see the frame/border your mind tries to shove the image back inside. I know, for me, my 47" LG 3D is no where near my 140" projection 3D image.