My adventures in Hollywood...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Feb 5, 2003.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Apr 19, 2000
    Well, I am back from my three-week tour of Southern California.

As for movies, I got to see two of the dye-transfer Technicolor films at the Egyptian (The Carpetbaggers and The Red Shoes). There I met Jeff Joseph, and at the Red Shoes screening in the lobby I met Leonard Maltin, where I praised him for his Walt Disney Treasures sets.

Then it was off to Facets of the Diamond. At the screening of "My Fair Lady" in 70mm, I met Gene Allen, whose autograph I got, Best Song winner Richard M. Sherman (and his wife Elizabeth), Dinah Ann Rogers, who played one of Higgins' maids (the blonde one in the bathroom scene), who was also in "Star," "Pete's Dragon," and the TV show "M*A*S*H", and John Alderson, who played Doolittle's mustachioed friend Jamie.

Next week at the premiere of the exquisite 70mm print of The Sound of Music (no DVD or HDTV transfer could ever compare in my mind), I met and got autographs of Duane Chase, Deb Turner, Kym Karath, and ballroom extra Gary Armstrong. I also met Robert Wise, but I don't think he was well enough to sign autographs.

It goes without saying that I envy you Left Coast residents to death!
  2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Feb 8, 2001
    Leonard Maltin was at The Red Shoes? damn either I left to quickly or he didn't stay for the awesome 45 minutes of nitrate dye transfer trailers (Song of the South, Snow White, Wizard of Oz, Three Godfathers, Dixie, for whom the bells toll and many many more), I'd have loved to compliment him on the Treasures sets (I have all seven) and would have loved to ask him if we're getting Donald in the next set! [​IMG]

I also saw The Ten Commandments when Charleton Heston was there which was a great treat, especially seeing an epic like that on the (very) big screen at the Egyptian.

I haven't gotten over to Facets of the Diamond yet, I would have loved to have seen a 70mm print of Sound of Music. . I actually got tickets for Bridge on the River Kwai, but unfortunately had to miss the screening because of a family emergency. Happily I just saw a 35mm 2.35:1 screening of it this morning here at USC. not a perfect print, but still damn good, and it was absolutely marvelous to see it on the big screen.