My Adire Kit 281 and LCC Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian_J, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Follow this link to see the pictures of my finished (almost) transmission line Adire Kit 281 and LCC center speaker in Rosewood, curly Maple and Zebrawood with piano black top and bottom. These have taken quite a while to get to this point.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usa...bum?.dir=/b680

I got the Rosewood from constantines.com . Its Santos not Brazilian. But I did get Brazilian recently as well as the figured Maple and Zebra from veneersupplies.com. That is a great site.

Since this was my first real project working with veneer I was worried about getting good seams so there are virtually none on my project as I veneered pieces that were in turn glued on the cabinet. The only seems I had were where the Rosewood and Zebra meet. It turned out very well. Seems are difficult to see where the wood changes direction or where two very different woods meet.

I really like the sound of the tower speakers but do not like the center speaker right now. I am not convinced the crossover was put together correctly as it seems very boxy right now and not enough oomph from those big woofers. The towers come with pre built crossovers but the center with just parts you have to assemble. I dont like that. Its sounds like too much mid range right now.

Brian

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brian,

Let me be the first to say that those are absolutely gorgeous! Great work! I may have to invite myself over for a looksee sometime in the near future...if you don't mind of course.[​IMG]

Also, I've never heard the 281's so I'd really like to hear them. I did build an LCC quite a while back so at least maybe I could tell you if it sounded right or not. I will say that the midrange is definitely forward compared to a lot of speakers I've heard. Also, did you stuff the midrange and woofer enclosures per the instructions? This would definitely affect the sound of the midrange.

Also, if the crossovers are removeable I might be able to check them out and see if everything looks correct. They were a bit daunting to assemble from what I remember.

3. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

wow....simply...wow...

4. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Beautiful job.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

kudos my man, if that was your first attempt to do veneering i can't wait to try it then [​IMG]

6. Jeff shark

Jeff shark Extra

Amazing!

I'm currently in the process of building my LCC, I'll post once it's done, see how it sounds compared to my 281 ported towers...

Keep up the great work!

7. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Thanks for the kudos guys. These have taken quite a while and you start to lose the patience at the end of the project that you had at the beginning.

Brian, I really appreciate your compliments considering I have often perused your website and admired your work. Let me know when you want to give the 281's a listen. Yes the crossovers were a pain and I was not convinced that there layout they provided was the same as there schematic.

I would really like to do a powerful subwoofer next and after that maybe a high end loud speaker project next. The 281's sound great but the drivers do not have the high end look I am after.

BrianJ

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Those speakers look "oh so sweet" [​IMG]

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Very, very nice looking Brian.
    How many hours do you have on your speakers at this point?

10. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

In terms of construction...too many to count. The cabinets really only took a weekend. The dry-glue technique I used for the veneer took quite a while. The veneering probably took two to three weekends and sanding, stain and the piano black finish on the tops and bottoms yet another plus a few hours additional getting the piano black just right.

In terms of listening...too little. Only about two or three good hours.

Brian

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Two or three hours on Kit281s? If you think they sound good now... [​IMG] (Great construction work, by the way!)

12. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

Excellent job Brian those are gorgeous. You should be proud. [​IMG]

13. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

Man o man.......an heirloom to ba sure! Wonderful job!

14. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

just an update...

The 281 transmission line speakers I built have really grown on me. They have a huge soundstage and presence that my previous Mirage speakers did not. They are a bit revealing or harsh in the treble compared to Mirage but they can practically shake my theater to the ground. I am very happy with these.

However, I have a big complaint over the center channel speaker. A speaker this big should not sound this thin.

The sound seems heavily weighted to the upper mid and treble range, which is odd for a speaker with big 8-in woofers. I have to put the center 5db over the mains to compensate. Originally I thought I must have built the crossover wrong but I have checked it three times now. I emailed Adire and there response was its "designed to be placed near a big tv" to get the bass response, which seems an odd reply. I have a dedicated theater

But right now I have to assume the crossover is not well done. You can actually hear a substantial tonal difference when running test tones between the speakers. Its very noticeable.

They indicated I can add some resistors at certain places to mute the tweeter and mid a bit versus the woofer and I will try that next.

Brian

15. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Brian, that's really strange. The LCC crossover has a similar tone to the 281s except it is a little less sensitive and has better midrange quality. Is one driver playing frequencies it shouldn't be playing?

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brian, this means that the baffle step compensation was designed so that bass would not be overbearing when placed on or near a large TV.

Also, did you double check the wiring to both 8's? If they are out of phase then bass response will very thin.

17. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Hi Brian,

This is off-topic but I don't know if my emails are getting to you, so do you think you could email me and tell me how the sub is coming along? Thanks.

To the rest of you, sorry for the interruption and I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Awesome speakers BTW [​IMG]

18. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Those are sharp, you picked a great look for the 281s..good job, you should be proud!

19. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Yeah, after my initial dissapointment I took the thing apart and double checked the crossover and put it back together again.

Last night I noticed that when any music or real low voice is present the LCC sings because of those woofers. Its when a certain pitched voice is present that it grates on me and I dont know why yet.

Brian

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brian,

Let me know what part of Larryville you live in and maybe I can stop by in the next week or so. Just keep in mind, I'm not the least bit interested in seeing the speakers. I just want to make sure your center channel is working properly. [​IMG]