What's new

My '98 Nissan needs a new tranny!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just got off the phone with the fix-it shop. I've taken my car in 3 times this past week to try and stop a tranmission fluid leak. Well.. today he says he's going to refund me all my money and says I'm probably going to need a new transmission! He says there's too much "play" in the drive shaft that's causing the leak.

WTF!?!? The car is a 98 with 70K miles on it! How can I need a new tranny!?? Is this normal?

It's a 5 speed manual and I don't think I'm particularly "hard" on the transmission when I drive. How is this possible?

This is going to run me about $2K!

Are there any good "rebuild your own transmission" websites out there?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...

Can he show you the excessive play in the transmission output shaft?

You could have other issues. Very often, when the seal is replaced, you need a good, clean surface on the driveshaft yoke to get a good seal. Sometimes, you can do this with steel wool or emory cloth, sometimes it's just easier to take it to someone.
Secondly, how are the U-joints in the driveshaft? Worn U-joints can cause a nasty driveline vibration, which will rear its head by making the rear trans seal leak all over. Bent shaft- same thing. Anything that would make the driveshaft wobble will make the yoke wobble, which is where the seal is made. Is the yoke out of round?

Finally, if you REALLY do have to get into the trans (I just can't see this unless you've done some heavy loading in your 70k miles), you could likely just replace the rear mainshaft bearing and be done with it. Some trannies spring out like a jack-in-the-box with a thousand parts, so read up before you tear it apart.:)

P.S. Steve Schaffer is a Nissan mechanic. He ought to know if this is common. (5th edit- I just remembered that he's a Toyota mechanic that DRIVES a Nissan. d'oh!)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just can't see this unless you've done some heavy loading in your 70k miles
Not at all.. that's whats got me so puzzled. I'll try to stick my head under there to take a look at the things you mentioned. Although.. I don't know much about cars.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Although.. I don't know much about cars.
If that's true, and you're not particularly handy with all-things-mechanical, then you do NOT want to get into a trans rebuild. I've been "playing cars" for 17 years (strictly as an enthusiast), and have rebuilt many engines, but I hate messing with transmissions.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think as always I'd get a second opinion, or, how bad is the leak? maybe just top off the fluid once a month :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It's an abnormality but it happens. Head to www.maxima.org and ask others about your predicament. The auto in my 1990 Max lasted 181k, but others have lasted only as long as 80k. Again, very rare but it happens.

And $2G is A LOT of money for a manual rebuild. My friend got his 96se 5-spd rebuilt for $900 (his Max is supercharged with loads of mods). National chains such as Cottman's or Aamco are always a toss-up. Many report another failing tranny after 30k or so. Go to the ORG and ask people in your area of any transmission shops they recommend.

For an example when I was toying with the idea of getting a rebuild Cottman's wanted over 2 grand. After asking around I found a place in MD that will do a stock rebuild with 2yr warranty for $1500. I was about to get the "performance rebuild" which has beefier parts and a valve body mod included for about $1850. Just ended up buying another Maxima, 5-spd this time. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
not sure if they still do this or not, but maybe you can get your hands on (what i think is called) a "test transmission".

when i had to replace one on my 86 rx-7, the place i went to made that recommendation.

i guess the scoop is that the manufacturer has to take so many trannies and test them. they then sell those trannies to the public at a discounted cost. back then, i think i paid about 800 bucks, but i don't remember for sure now. it was in the early 90's when i did it.

i do remember it was a significant savings over buying a new one or having mine rebuilt.

good luck!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just to commiserate, last week I took my Civic ('94) in for the 100K maintenance and came out of it $1200 poorer due to a leaking power steering system and the bushings on my rear tires that finally gave out.

I used to drive a '82 Accord which leaked power steering fluid all the time and it got to point where I didn't have the money back then to fix it, and was basically buying power steering fluid by the case on a monthly basis to get the levels topped off due to leak. I vowed not to get into that habit again, so I had the rack-and-pinion steering assembly replaced. The rear bushings were something I knew had to be replaced because I could feel the sway and oscillation of the back end of my car when I made turns (fast or slow), thus, it also needed to be repaired.

Grrr...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks