What's new

My 85L Shiva is Done (1 Viewer)

Ben L C

Agent
Looks great Gerry. I am working on a Tumult with 2 18" PR's built in a 24" cube. I have all the holes cut and will start putting the box together tomorrow sometime. I hope that mine turns out as nice as yours:emoji_thumbsup:

Ben

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Gerry,

Darn you - I still have to construct my 2 85L Shiva boxes.

Here's all the further that I've gotten:

Actually, I had to purchase 12 sheets of MDF which are for a client's custom shelving build/installation. However, once those shelves are done - and my pro amp gets here, I'll work on my cabinets.

BTW, your 85L sub looks awesome - and @ only $300, it is truly impressive. :) :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gerry,

Nice looking sub! It turned out great!

Also, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I was able to help.

Nice job. :emoji_thumbsup: I did a sub that looks very similar in cherry as a gift for my mother. Now I just have to get the rest of the surround speakers done and get the grills finished then she can enjoy movies in 5.1:D

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm envious of you guys who still have projects pending. I'd really love to build some more, but I don't really have the need for any more speakers just yet. Once I build my dedicated theater, I plan to build some bookshelves with a matching center for our great room.

Suppose I wanted to take some measurements and graph the frequency response of my subwoofer. Is all I need to do this an SPL meter and some kind of CD like AVIA to output the tones?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Of course, with a Shiva it could have matched up even better...;)

Excellent woodworking!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
lol, I saw the dayton dvc box and was wondering why he was calling it a shiva.

Are those Energy Veritas V2.4? That sub probably goes well with those.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
They were out of stock of Shiva's when I was building so I did put a Dayton DVC driver in the cabinet. I called it a Shiva because the plans I used to build the cabinet were the Adire Audio 85L Vented Shiva plans.

The Dayton DVC specifications match up closely to the Shiva, but I would have much rather used the Shiva. Anyhow, I am really thankful to Adire Audio for supplying those excellent plans and wanted to give them credit for the cabinet design.

Those are Veritas 2.4's - the sub does match nicely and sounds better everyday!

Chris-E-S

Auditioning
I was just wondering how heavy that sucker is? I have been reading alot in the endtable sub thread and was wondering if you could use yours as an endtable? It is really clean looking, nice job and thanks for the link to the veneering page.

-Svence

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Svence,

Most home-built subwoofer have some weight to them. The weight issues get worse when one decides to "double-up" the MDF so the cabinet is 1.5" thick. In an effort to trim some of the fat, one could go with a pro audio amp - and save about 13 Lbs. by not using a plate amp. Other than that, it's a price we pay for great sound. :D :D :D

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'll take a wild guess and say the sub weighs about 65 - 75 pounds, including the plate amp.

I am not sure why people double up on the cabinet. Another guess: does doubling up the cabinet control resonance and improve sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks