What's new

My 6th speaker???? (1 Viewer)

JimHaskell

Grip
I recently posted the details on my new system. I have a 6.1 receiver, but I bought speaskers for 5.1. So, I'll need to get my 6th speaker.

Well, my surrounds are JBL E10's. I'd like another one for the rear center, but they are sold in pairs. For now, I'm watching ebay to see if anyone is selling a single, but if that fails, what do you think I should do??

If I could get so lucky as to find someone in the same situation, I'd gladly go halvsies with them.;)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you can afford the pair, you could hook them both up to the rear channel. One problem with 6.1 is that the human brain can confuse the front center and rear center. Running 2 speakers in the back (even if they're getting the same signal) can eliminate this problem.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
JIm, my setup is similar to yours. I just ordered a pair of JBL N24's for my back surrounds (they have to go on stands and the E10;s really won't). They are pretty much voivced matched to the E series (same tweeter, etc-basically the version of northbridge before the E series).
Anyway, I will use 1 now for 6.1 and the other when I upgrade to a Pio 1015tx when they come out for 7.1).

BHphoto.com has them for $69.50 for a BRAND new pair in dark gray/black with free shipping and they are an authorized vendor (bought my E80's there $358 shipped for the pair).

$69.50 you can't go wrong for the new pair of N24's.
They have E10's for $99 shipped as well if you go that router (which I can not right now).

I just ordered them like 10mn ago :)

***actually, just checked receiver manual. Altho my Pio 811 is 6.1, it has connects for 2 surround backs. I will go that route for now and try their Virutal SB setting (supposed to be a 7.1 sound).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Yes if you wired them in parallel ... Wiring speakers in parallel
Speakers in parallel halve the norminal speaker impedance, ie. two 8 ohm speakers become 4 ohm. Typically used in band PA speaker boxes, nightclub speaker systems, DJ's systems and car audio systems.

**Wiring Speakers in Series
Speakers in series double the nominal speaker impedance, ie. two 8 ohm speakers become 16 ohm.

Hope this helps,

Phil

JimHaskell

Grip

Doesn't that decrease sound output by 3 db? Would I just adjust the level at that point to get the right amount of sound? Should the amp(Yamaha) be able to handle that?

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You are adding a second speaker, so you are doubling the effective SPL, but you are also drawing twice as much current on this channel.

JimHaskell

Grip

With double impedence, your current draw is halved, not doubled. So I'd heve to crank it up a bit, correct??

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

REFERENCE Calibrating all the speakers @ your 'sweet spot' will equalize your speaker SPL's around you.

My REF CAL Process & Results
The following INFO is for your reference only ...

1) REFERENCED Calibrated using Dolby Digital - "Explore Our World" DVD DD-EX Test Tones:
.... a) Dolby Digital EX HT Speaker Test Tones = 75 dB

2) Next: Changed RS Meter Dial = 80 / DD-EX dedicated LFE Test Tone:
.... b) Dolby Digital EX LFE Test Tone = 77 dB AVG (highest needle swing = 78 dB / lowest = 76 dB)

Yamaha RX-V1300:
Volume Control Display = -19.5 REF Level
Tone Controls = Bypassed

LEVEL MENU
- CENTER:... -7.0
- R SUR:....... +2.0
- REAR CT:.. +4.5 (pair wired in-series)
- L SUR:........ +2.5
- SWFR:....... -8.5*

SETUP MENU
- BALANCE:... L & R = 0
- LFE:............. -11*
- SP Delay: (in feet**)
.......... Main LR: 9.0 ft. / (actual LT = 9' - 0" / RT = 9' - 1")
.......... CENTER: 9.0 ft. / (was 8.5 ft.) / (actual = 8' - 9")
.......... Rear LR: 10.0 ft. / (actual L SUR = 9' - 10 1/2" / R SUR = 10' - 2")
.......... Rear CT: 10.0 ft. / (actual 10' - 2")

*The Bass support is 100% A-OK when switching between my DD/DTS DVDs Digital LFE bass to my analog bass 2-channel Music CD's (DPL TV shows, VHS tapes, etc.)!!!

** All measurements from my tripod mounted Radio Shack SPL Meter located @ my 'sweet spot', facing forward about 50-degrees towards the Center Speaker.

Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The drivers still draw the SAME amount of current, regardless of the combined impedance, when calibrated to reference. Each draws less because of the lower combined impedance without calibration, but when you have calibrated them to the same level as a single speaker, you are again drawing more current than that single speaker, which is more current than if you used a single, lower impedance speaker. If this were not the case, we would all have 50 speakers running off a $20 amp and there would be no market (or need) for high current receivers.

I'm not sure that makes sense, but basically, you don't think that when you hook up 2 speakers to one terminal, you are getting the same power and SPL for FREE do you? Why not hook up 4 speakers back there then? To achieve the same SPL with this type of arrangement, there is an increase in current draw.

I'm also not saying that it won't work, because I have done it in the past, just saying that it does not come at no additional cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks