My 27" died, reccomendations for another 27" please

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KenMc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. KenMc

KenMc Extra

Hi, this is my first post here but I have been scouring the site since last week. My 27" JVC set just died on me a few days ago, so I am looking for a new set. It came at a bad time so I only want another 27" but one of the flat CRT sets and i need component video inputs for my DVD player along with another one or two inputs. I'm looking for something in the $300 range and I aw a Phillips set for $249 at Wal-Mart with everyhting I need. Anyone know if that set's any good or of any other set that would work for me? Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

My 5 year old Zenith 27" in my bedroom started "snapping noise" and now the color is off and the picture has a pinkish blue tint.

So I too been shopping, and looking at forums for advice and talking to sales people. I want a flat screen too. I was hoping the holidays would offer better selections but alot of stores have been SOLD OUT of these sizes. I am not in a big hurry and looking for a good picture and don't have a HD need.

I shopped at Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and found HH Gregg had the best prices and most selction of the 27" flat screen
    HH Gregg

These are the 2 I would choose. Best Buy had the Sony for $ 349.00

1. Sony 27" FD Trinitron® Wega® Flat Screen TV with 16:9 Enhanced Mode (V-Compression)
    Model No: KV27FS120 for $ 329.00

2. JVC 27" Flat Screen TV with Invar Shadow Mask for Superior Contrast and Brightness
    Model No: AV27F476 is $ 259.00

It's funny shopping for a 27" in these stores. The salesmen think we are in for a $ 3,000 HD Flat screen and kind of upset when we walk over to the "old fashioned" CRT tabletops ![​IMG]

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Wega's are always a great choice for CRT TV's. If there's one in your price range, I'd suggest getting it. If it's out of the range, the JVC, Toshiba and Panasonic 27"'ers that are basically knockoffs of the Wega, or "inspired by" if you will, [​IMG] are decent too. I don't know too many people that have these sets and don't enjoy them.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are you absolutely not considering something with high-def capability? At this stage of the game, it just doesn't make sense to get any display that doesn't display, at the very least, 480p.

Anyhow, if you do get just an NTSC-capable set, make sure that it has a user-menu-selected "squeeze" capability -- that is, a 16:9 mode that vertically compresses the scanning line raster into a widescreen window.

5. KenMc

KenMc Extra

See, I need to keep it under $300 or real close to it. I can do that toshiba or sony for 329 with the 16:9 "squeeze" mode and still be ok. I would LOVE something with HD capabilities, I just cannot afford it right now on a part-time wage. I just graduated and it's tough finding an entry-level IT job in Tallahassee, FL.

6. KenMc

KenMc Extra

Ok, the toshiba set I can get for $293 after tax with a employee discount at Target. It has the 16:9 mode as well as the sony. Just don't know if Target stocks this tv or not. I sure hope they do, because if they do I'm borrowing a truck and picking it up tomorrow!! If not, I'm kind of stuck in a hard place. I have a $70 gift card to target that I'd like to use up since I don't really shop there all that much.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, good luck with the unit.

8. KenMc

KenMc Extra

It turns out that Target only carries the tv online, and it's another $110 to ship the set to me. So much for that. If I can scrounge up enough money I'm going to get the Toshiba from Best Buy over the Sony.