my $20 Radi Shack composite A/V switcher passes 1080i!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

they said it couldn't be done.
    Click here
    First of all, i had 3 component inputs running into this thing (xbox, ps2, progressive scan dvd player - panasonic rp91) withone set of component outputs to the tv (my tv has an internal HD receiver, which is why i didn't have any 1080i sources going to the tv's one progressive input yet). Basically I just corresponded the red/green/blue cords to the yellow/white/red inputs in the switcher.
    It had been passing 480p without a hitch but most people told me it was impossible that a composite video switcher could pass 1080i, and i didn't have a source to test it.
    that was, until, XBOX finally released a 1080i game this week, DRAGON'S LAIR 3D. And the switcher passes 1080i BEAUTIFULLY!
    I confirmed it wasn't just 480p i was seeing by turning off 1080i and then 480p and comparing resolution - i am DEFINITELY seeing 1080i on this game. It passes the signal with everything but 1080i turned off, and it's obvious in the detail of the game as well.
    Just thought this was an incredibly cheap solution for those who don't want to spend big $$$ on a component switcher, and for those who A/V receiver don't have enough switched inputs.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

For some reason, your link did not work, but if the device in question is just an electro- mechanical switch, I don't know why it wouldn't work with anything.

Glad you have found a cheap solution!

BL

3. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i can't get the link from that site properly posted, but it's just a simple COMPOSITE stereo a/v switcher (red/yellow/white connectors).

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor