My 20-39 PC+ arrived, or :Oops I crapped my pants

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Conrad, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Steve Conrad

Steve Conrad Agent

After what seemed like years on the fence (probably about 20 months) I finally pulled the trigger on this monster.

My current room is 13' x 20' with normal ceilings. I guess one of the reasons I waited so long, is that I have moved 4 times in the past 2 years. The kicker is that I'm moving again in about 3 months. I thought (like many others) that this model was a perfect blend of performance and value for most normal room sizes.

After ripping open the box like a 8 year old on Christmas morning I carefully calibrated with my trusty Video Essentials disc.

My only dilemma was figuring out what DVD to play first!
    I went with the advice printed in the SVS manual. I popped in "The Iron Giant" Turned up the gain to about 9 o'clock on the dial. Listened to select parts of the movie, and I think my 2 Doberman Pinchers just about lost control of their bowels. I think every single loose screw or adjoining piece of wood in my house either rubbed together, or completely rattled out. So, my petition to include a disclaimer stating: "May cause structural damage to your home/dwelling" is very much substantiated.

After a few more test discs, some redbook CDs and a "tad" of the gain turned down, I figured, now that I have gobs of power, I'd like to feel how deep we can go... so I used one of the handy port-blockers that came in the box. I believe that was a good avenue for me.

But my biggest revelation of the day was this: I previously wasn't using a sub at ALL. I had Infinity Overture 3's as mains, and the surrounds and center were Overture 1's. Now, this speaker set-up seems rather dated, and I was looking to upgrade, maybe to Rockets...
    However, Since switching everything to "small" and with the addition of the SVS, My Infinity's seem to have renewed vigor, and clarity. Is this a placebo? or does taking some of the stress of the 4 active powered 5 1/4's really improve dynamics somehow? Seriously It was like listening to a new speaker. So unless someone can provide a SERIOUS reason why I should upgrade to the acclaimed Rockets, I'm postponing new speakers, and now focusing to a Outlaw 950/770 combo.

-the newest member of the club
    -steve

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Good on ya Steve. I love my PC+ too!

Setting the speakers to small and filtering at the AVR or pre/pro definitely does make a difference in the mids and highs.

The speakers sound better when they don't have to reproduce bass and mids at the same, and the main amp isn't working nearly as hard since it is being relieved of the high current bass duties. This makes the amp seem far more dynamic and powerful than its power rating would otherwise suggest.

3. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

Powered subwoofers improve the sound of your main speakers in two main ways - by removing the need to produce low frequencies from your main speakers woofers, and by doing the same thing for your amplifier.

There's an excellent explanation on the Audio Perfectionist website - download the second free journal here for details.

4. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I just sit in my den with a huge grin on my face everyday when I play a DVD with my 20-39 PC+ . At first it didn't get the lowest of the lows I had wanted, but a quick port block and presto it rattles my butt in my chair!! Who could ask for anything better? Well I suppose technically you could, but for me it cannot. :)
    Have fun with the sub Steve!

-edwin

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Steve,

Those Infinitys are mighty nice speakers. If you like the sound of them with the bass off-loaded, I'd hesitate on getting new speakers and look at the pre/pro/amp combination.

-Robb

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Congrats- Hopefully you had toilet paper readily available. [​IMG]