What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't like to see the joining lines between the panels, disappear as they were part of the Cinerama experience. They never bothered me when I saw all the original films many times more than half a century ago.

I have edited my post accordingly as I agree that making them disappear is not the wording I should have used.
Still I do not really see a point in keeping them more visible than necessary so they would still be visible to a degree as they were with all cinerama movies that made it to Blu-ray.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I was reading some info on "Brothers Grimm" on the TCM website(Turner Classic Movies) and the statement was made that "Brothers Grimm" was photographed in 70mm and NOT in 3-strip Cinerama! I thought …"say what???" I wonder where they got that hair-brained idea, which of course, is untrue.

I'm not seeing it on their site. I do see the following which is correct.

grimm.jpg

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I'm not seeing it on their site. I do see the following which is correct.

View attachment 49399
Well, I didn't make this up. Go to the TCM website and type "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" in their search bar. That should take you to the "Film Article" page which is divided into three sections. The middle section, I believe, contains the article which contains the incorrect information regarding filming of the movie.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
to give you an idea how much more film you have to scan with cinerama compared to a film shot in 35mm scope and in good condition which would mean no need to go to separations:

Cinerama has 6 perforations vs normal film 4 perforations so that is about 1.5 times as much film running through the scanner for each panel. As Cinerama has three panels you have to multiply that by 3 and you get 4.5 times more film.
Then it gets really bad if you have to go back to separations as at that point we are talking about 13.5 times as much film running through the scanner and getting back from separations to a good registration and resolution for each individual film strip is already a lot of effort, you can take that times three of course as we have three panels.

Then add the fact that extra work has to be performed to make join lines less visible and to adjust registration and color of the three panels to get a really good match and you could easily be looking at a 20 to 30 times higher budget compared to a scope movie in good condition.

And it's already been stated repeatedly that this would require going back to the separations. But everyone thinks it's so easy, so perhaps one of these fellows would like to put up the money to do it and offer that to Warners. They probably still wouldn't do it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And it's already been stated repeatedly that this would require going back to the separations. But everyone thinks it's so easy, so perhaps one of these fellows would like to put up the money to do it and offer that to Warners. They probably still wouldn't do it.

Not too many individuals with pockets deep enough to pay for doing Grimm properly, I doubt that anybody has approached Warner about it.

Paul Allen might do it and also order a brand new print that can be shown at the Seattle Cinerama.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Well, I didn't make this up. Go to the TCM website and type "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" in their search bar. That should take you to the "Film Article" page which is divided into three sections. The middle section, I believe, contains the article which contains the incorrect information regarding filming of the movie.

Yeah, that's wrong. I think the writer must have read an article on the Puppetoon sequence. The stop motion animation was filmed with one camera not three.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Yeah, that's wrong. I think the writer must have read an article on the Puppetoon sequence. The stop motion animation was filmed with one camera not three.
Yes, now that you bring this up I remembered reading at the time the film was released that the stop motion sequence was shot in 65mm with one camera, whereas the rest of the film was shot in (what was then) the traditional Cinerama process of 3 cameras.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
While he is at it, maybe Mr. Allen wouldn't mind underwriting the restoration of The Alamo as well!

Given the fact that he owns a cinerama movie theater and that Grimm is one of only two non-travelogue cinerama movies I thought that Mr. Allen is indeed somebody who may have an interest to put up the funds for it.

Not sure what interest he would have in The Alamo and a better fit for the ultrawide cinerama screen would probably be both Around the World in 80 days due to its bug eye shot sequences or Raintree County due to its ultrawide aspect ratio (that so far nobody has seen inside a cinema).

But hey, I'll take any one of these titles on Blu-ray or even better UHD, no questions asked :)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
And while Mr. Allen's wallet is opened, maybe he could also finance a 4K remastering (plus whatever restoration work might be needed) for two Ultra Panavision Cinerama films, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, both of whose existing Blu-Ray releases are notorious for their poor quality.,

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And while Mr. Allen's wallet is opened, maybe he could also finance a 4K remastering (plus whatever restoration work might be needed) for two Ultra Panavision Cinerama films, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, both of whose existing Blu-Ray releases are notorious for their poor quality.,

That'll be the day!

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Brothers Grimm Puppetoons seq. (according to David Pal and Norman Karlin, assist. editor) was shot with a single 6-perf Mitchell camera (maybe from Windjammer?)
Camera rotated to the 3 positions for A,B,C panels so not Ultra Panavision
Mr. Strohmeier: If I may ask, what is the holdup, besides money, in restoring "Brothers Grimm." Thanks!

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Sorry for mis-spelling your name. I will write it on a chalk board 100 times: Strohmaier, Strohmaier, etc.,etc, and of course, etc (to quote Dr. Lao)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Members: There is no need for snark. Let's stay on topic if you're going to post in the thread.

William: You can ask all the questions you want (this is, after all, your thread), but I think Dave has already answered your latest question on the first page of this thread. And I'd add that I think you can trust the majority of analysis that's already been provided in this thread as to why the project is unlikely to proceed.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Strohmeier: If I may ask, what is the holdup, besides money, in restoring "Brothers Grimm." Thanks!

If you come up with enough money to do it there is no reason to assume that Warner would not start working on Brothers Grimm so the correct question would probably be how much money they think they need.

If they do it themselves I would however assume that it may take some time until they get around to it as any way you slice it we are talking about Grimm taking up resources that could be used on many other movies that are shorter, in better condition and most importantly not shot in cinerama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes