What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (2 Viewers)

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
After watching the Blue Ray several times in both modes "flat and Smile" I am wishing instead of offering the flat version that they had instead used a cinemascope print like would have been used in general release after the film completed it's road show run. The current picture is so wide, it is short on height and looks small on every screen I've tried it on. A cinemascope print was probably pan and scan rather than cutting off the actions on far right or left. I remember seeing the film in cinemascope as a kid and really enjoyed it. This is a kids movie and to get young people (preteens) to watch it..the picture should be a reasonable viewable size.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
After watching the Blue Ray several times in both modes "flat and Smile" I am wishing instead of offering the flat version that they had instead used a cinemascope print like would have been used in general release after the film completed it's road show run. The current picture is so wide, it is short on height and looks small on every screen I've tried it on. A cinemascope print was probably pan and scan rather than cutting off the actions on far right or left. I remember seeing the film in cinemascope as a kid and really enjoyed it. This is a kids movie and to get young people (preteens) to watch it..the picture should be a reasonable viewable size.
There is a variety of ways to zoom out (crop) the picture on modern systems for those who are into that kind of thing but there is no way to regain what has been cut off so I am happy that Warner gave us the full width.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

The CinemaScope prints were cropped on the left and right.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I'm not an expert, but the join lines between the 3 panels seem far less noticable when the cameras remain still without panning left to right. The flaws in the seams would also become more noticable when/if the seams traveled from left to right as they would have to do in a pan&scan process.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not an expert, but the join lines between the 3 panels seem far less noticable when the cameras remain still without panning left to right. The flaws in the seams would also become more noticable when/if the seams traveled from left to right as they would have to do in a pan&scan process.
You can see a bit of that in How the West was Won. But HtWwW was filmed more conventionally, shot wise, and doesn't have that "fish eye" presentation of Brothers Grimm, which looks to have been done with a locked down camera on it's widest zoom coupled with that type of lens system and the camera pushed into the scene as much as possible.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
You can see a bit of that in How the West was Won. But HtWwW was filmed more conventionally, shot wise, and doesn't have that "fish eye" presentation of Brothers Grimm, which looks to have been done with a locked down camera on it's widest zoom coupled with that type of lens system and the camera pushed into the scene as much as possible.
Same camera, same fixed lens (they wasn't replaceable) on both films. A few shots on HTWWW however, were shot in Ultra Panavision 70mm at 2.76:1.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/cineramacam.htm

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Watch it in Smilebox if you want a larger image. Not much difference between Smilebox and Cinemascope.

Smilebox
1g.jpg

Cropped to Cinemascope
1gc.jpg

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Rather a misleading comparison above as this is what the differences between the 2 versions look like on a CinemaScope screen.

Notice the apparent loss of weight on the guard on the extreme left (most evident on his legs) and on the man on the extreme right of the smilebox image.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rather a misleading comparison above as this is what the differences between the 2 versions look like on a CinemaScope screen.
View attachment 148360

Notice the sudden loss of weight on the guard on the extreme left (most evedent on his legs) and on the man on the extreme right of the smilebox image.

Not misleading if you have a 16 x 9 TV or 16 x 9 screen.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Not misleading if you have a 16 x 9 TV or 16 x 9 screen.
From your post:

"Cropped to Cinemascope"

You can't really crop to CinemaScope without a CinemaScope screen. No point in doing that.....:confused:

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Cinerama celebration on TCM Friday November 25th for 70th anniversary of Cinerama and the 60th of “Brothers Grimm” and “How The West Was Won”

Here is the line-up for Pacific standard time:

5:00 PM “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” (new Restoration in SmileBox)

7:30 PM “Rescuing a Fantasy Classic” (documentary on the restoration)

8:15 PM “How the West Was Won” (in SmileBox)

We just got back from several Cinerama “Brothers Grimm” screenings at Bradford, England, Vienna, Austria and at Karlsruhe, Germany. With a one day stop-over in Rothenberg, Germany where many exteriors were filmed.

It sure is great to see how the new 4k DCP looks on those big screens.

Dave

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don’t think this has the Smilebox version, correct? I bought HTWWW and it is a “Widescreen Version Transfer Tailered to Home Screens” version only. I wanted to have Smilebox, but I guess I need to look for that one.
There's only one version from WAC: it's a 2 disc set with a widescreen 2.89:1 AR and the Smilebox version on a separate disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks